Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Mechanical design Handbook 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

superenginee

Mechanical
Feb 2, 2018
DE
Hello,

I am looking for an engineering book, that has guidelines about design proccess (e.g methods, considerations, calculations). I would like something not addressed just to a designer, but more to an engineer. (e.g. mechanisms of an aircraft or some mechanisms of a car)

Do you have any suggestions?

Thank you

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I have a copy of Machinery's Handbook that is really handy. I also have a 4 book set called Ingenious Mechanisms. Roark's Formulas for Stress and Strain is one I need to buy. From what I recall, there was some discussion about the newer versions of Roark's and the removal of some information. Maybe someone can confirm this.

Kyle

Superenginee:
Sounds like you could use some text books on basic engineering fundamentals, Like Engineering Mechanics, Strength of Materials, Theory of Elasticity, Structural Design, Machine Design, etc. etc. If you don’t know the fundamentals of engineering, everything else will be Greek to you. Well, maybe that’s the wrong expression in your case. A given type of mechanism is pretty much the same once you understand the engineering principles and fundamentals of analyzing it, no matter what product it is used on, the general concept is not changed much. But, the design codes and stds. do change from one product, industry, country to another. You need a good ref. library, not just one or two books with all the answers to everything, to be a good engineer.

Thank you for your fast replys!

I do have the basic knowledge and the fundamentals. I am not looking for machine element books nor for calculation handbooks, but more for some thoughts on designing and thought process of a mechanical engineer. Maybe what i am looking for does not exist, as by just having the basic knowledge you can design anything.

Superenginee:
Then, it sounds like what you are looking for is 20 years of good, well rounded engineering experience, fast and easy, and the last time I checked you can’t buy that by the pound or in a handbook. The basic knowledge allows you to get started and understand much more as you progress, but lack of the basics and lack of experience really limits you. Basic knowledge hardy allows you to “design anything.” Work around some good, knowledgeable, experience engineers, and ask intelligent question, and not the same question twice, and you will learn “some thoughts on designing and thought process of a mechanical engineer.” Having these people as mentors and reviewers of your work will gain you that experience much quicker and better than any handbook could, assuming you could find that book.

dhengr:
I totally aggree with you. Though having some written ideas or a point of view by (probably a great) writer/engineer, is always a helping hand and widely accepted.

I'll second Machinery's Handbook, Marks Standard Handbook for Mechanical Engineers, Roark's (thanks for the link above even though I have a hard copy) and add the Bosch Automotive Handbook since the OP expressed interest in cars. There's nothing wrong with old editions, you can find them for far less than shiny new ones.

----------------------------------------

The Help for this program was created in Windows Help format, which depends on a feature that isn't included in this version of Windows.

While not an Engineer, I believe it was Frank Lloyd Wright that said "Form follows function" and I have found that to be a good place to start.
Determine want you need done and work backwards from there.

Would either of these books be more along the lines of what you are looking for?

o Engineering Design: A Systematic Approach – Gerhard Pahl, Ken Wallace, Lucieenne Blessing
o Total Design: Integrated Methods for Successful Product Engineering – Stuart Pugh

GSTP

Graduate Mechanical Design Engineer
UK

Total Design by Pugh as suggested is a good call. Possibly even the Toyota Way by Liker is another good option, it is not just a manufacturing system it relates to total quality management including the product development process. Another option for you is to google "Design For . . ." could be design for assembly, manufacturing, testing, service etc and see what you find. In my experience, engineers tend to focus very much in on the calculations and data and a lot of other aspects of design such as manufacture-ability, ergonomics etc are after thoughts. There is no substitute for experience but reading up and taking it on yourself to learn about the wider aspects of design is a very good step to becoming a great design engineer

Declan Scullion CEng

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back