Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Mechanical Design of industrial equipment - disagreements on design timelines and methods 9

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveDGuy

Mechanical
Jan 6, 2023
US
Hello all,

I’m reaching out to see what others think about the position I am currently in and the back and forth I've experienced in my current position. Background info: I’ve been working as a mechanical design engineer in the turnkey automation manufacturing industry for my whole career at small companies, meaning I’ve become experienced in wearing all hats from quoting, conceptualizing, 3D design, drafting, and managing all steps of projects from initial concept to final installation, from PLC selection to designing all custom tooling that goes into a machine. I recently switched companies and since starting my current role, I’ve found myself running into frequent disagreements with my manager above me, note that the person who hired me is not my manager. I would benefit from getting others’ opinions here on the forums with experience in this area of engineering

The issue mainly lies with the lack of organization & consistency, and my design efforts taking 2x-3x longer than what I’ve been used to my entire career because of disagreements and what seems like indecision from my manager. I am the sole mechanical engineer (everyone else including manager have only been software developers) and was hired to take on projects in the same wheelhouse as what I’m used to (one-off industrial equipment). I’ve become very accustomed to what design processes make sense and save the most time, versus those that don’t. A few examples include how in my experience, I’ve found a design timeline for a custom one-off manufacturing machine should be based on getting the concept phase figured out initially with the customer (~5-10% of job design hours for demonstrating said concept, functions, major component selection), and then after which the design is created and detailed based on that concept with some internal feedback between colleagues along the way (~80% of design hours), after which a final design review is held with the customer and any suggestions or feedback from the customer gets implemented prior to fabrication (remaining ~5-10% of design hours).

However, I’ve found my manager will tend to begin a conversation with me about one or two things that could be changed in the design, after which it turns into a multi-hour conversation of “well maybe this would be better, actually what if we did this, it shouldn’t take you that long to switch out some parts, etc.” where the changes make a significant impact to the design I’ve developed thus far, requiring changing/deleting/overhauling a majority of parts at around the 70-80% point in the design, and even sometimes suggesting these changes after a final design review. These conversations did not bother me early in the design phase as I’m somewhat used to that type of workflow and it seems reasonable. However, a week before what was considered a “final design review” with the customer, it will be a conversation of changing a major function, which I try to describe is something that was agreed upon earlier in the design and is good enough, and how revising a major portion based on a different idea (a lot of times has been just as good, not substantially better or worse) does not outweigh the effort required to revise major areas of the design. This has caused serious delays in project timelines, and most of the suggestions that are being made like gunfire over a 3-4 hour conversation are at least something that, in my past experience of successful projects, would have been cleared up and decided upon in the kickoff meeting (to avoid tacking on many hours of constant iterations later on). There have also been times that my manager changes his mind and chooses to stick with the original idea after all of the hours of conversation. This leaves me with no time to produce quality work as per what I’m used to doing, and what makes me feel satisfied in my career.

When I try to express how making large changes last minute will drastically lengthen the timeline, and not to mention silently experiencing the stress of not being sure if my design choices will ever be good enough for my manager causing self-doubt and mentally rehearsing arguments on the drive home, the response is that is just how the design process is and everyone everywhere needs to be prepared to make large changes to make the final product perfect. Since I don’t have a lot of grey hair, but I do have a significant number of successful completed machine designs under my career belt, it’s making me question my sanity as my manager has many years over me, but from what I can interpret they are years of software development and integration, not having a say over both software and mechanical design. My argument is that this is not parametric product design where the design phase is 8 months and has constant iteration based on focus groups and the like. This is bottom up industrial equipment design, with the mechanical design being created from scratch by a single engineer in a 4-6 week period of time which is an entirely different arena, but the argument is that the difference is negligible and I’m told there is no difference. Am I going nuts for thinking there even is a difference?

Additionally, in past designs I understand how much of a butterfly effect design choices make. This is why I try to get 70-90% of each “area” or subassembly completed before saying that area is pretty much done and shouldn’t be changed unless there is a critical flaw discovered, because of the fact that one thing drives how the next will behave, and so on and so forth. I’ve been told that that needs to wait until detailing is done which to me it is very hard to distinguish between detailing and the entire process as-is because of the fact that, for example, a simple counterbored hole depth could drive a change in a part’s thickness, changing the cost effectiveness of an original idea for a group of parts or the footprint of a subassembly, so on and so forth (I hope I’m getting this point across). This is why I argue that decisions need to be made and stuck with unless there is a critical reason for them to be changed later on, because the entire design is comprised of a fractal of decisions. This is actually the exact mentality that I have learned through my own trial and error, as well as input from the older and wiser engineers and folks in the manufacturing equipment industry. Does anyone have honest input on my situation?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I didn't say the top boss was unconcerned about the company. He is unconcerned about you. As long as you deliver he will remain unconcerned about you. If your manager destroys you, he and the top boss will blame you for failing in their explanations to customers about why you are no longer there.

But maybe you did understate it. Go tell the top boss your manager is killing you and the product isn't better, cheaper, sooner, for it. See what happens.

oh dear, 3DDave has been around for a while ! and gained a lot of depressing experience. sigh

"Hoffen wir mal, dass alles gut geht !"
General Paulus, Nov 1942, outside Stalingrad after the launch of Operation Uranus.

Going over your bosses head to your bosses boss is a losing proposition. Move on, or act interested in their BS - brainwash yourself for fun and profit!

It's just a litmus test of upper management. If the only thing management cares about is reporting structure, then they certainly don't trust or care about the employees. That's why I mentioned that the top boss hadn't bothered to have a skip level talk to ensure that what the intermediate manager was saying was true or complete, particularly as the manager in question isn't even in the same technical field, so it's not as if some newbie is unhappy with a more experienced manager - it's the reverse and clear the manager already distrusts his employee.

One thing that did come to mind is that this manager possibly has a very good friend he wanted to be hired for the job and the OP was hired instead by someone else. So the manager is getting tips from that good friend to torpedo the OP. I've seen this and it is similarly corrosive.

I've also seen cases where management doesn't think an employee is good for a particular role, but for whatever reason (usually risk of a protected class lawsuit) they are afraid to straight up fire them. So they have the manager purposely drive the employee crazy / make the employee look to be a poor performer. Best case for them, the employee up and leaves. Worst case, they have built a "case" that the employee has not been "meeting expectations".

I could see how it could be assumed as constructive dismissal though I do truly believe the owner's intents are genuine, as it seems he does not have much experience in the industry but has been very generous with all accommodations and salary negotiation considering the small size of the company. He had initially expressed his trust that I would bring great value having singled me out for the position. Now I wonder how to professionally explain this situation to the boss in the case of resigning without burning a bridge by singling anyone out (namely the manager).

I generally start difficult discussions by stating the potential problem that I see and asking if others agree that its legitimately a problem. In some instances I've been surprised to learn that my "problem" was really just a bad assumption, miscommunication, etc, and that there was no problem to solve. Ultimately tho, if your company/dept/team can't agree that a specific problem exists then they'll never agree on a solution. If they do agree that the problem exists, then you can focus on facts to develop a solution.

Apologies if I missed it but what is the actual problem? Are you personally being reprimanded for missing deadlines, or are you simply assuming that the boss will? Or is the issue that you're working significant overtime due to last minute changes? Or....? Each of these has a different set of possible solutions.

DDG - I (we) don’t fully understand the issue. Your general frustration at late changes is understandable. But what is the resulting effect? Do you have to work massive OT? Do schedules slide? (and if so, who explains the revised schedule to the customer?)

What would happen if you just told your manager “no, its too late to make those type of changes, and besides there is no benefit to the customer?” and just carry on with finishing the design and conducting the final design review?

Well, we all hear the story from you, so we're biased by your opinion and your explanation. But you say this position has physically and mentally worn you down so at the very minimum it's time to have a talk about this with your boss or manager and explain your viewpoint. That's the minimum, other option is to start looking for another job. In my country another option would be to have your GP write you sick leave and use the time too look for another job, but I'm not from the US so I don't know if that's an option.

I am with SWC here. It's time to learn the art of saying NO.

NO, I am not doing this redesign unless you (manager) can prove to me why it is absolutely essential. (Parts won't fit together, there is a documented failure to meet documented design requirements, etc.)

NO, I am not working unpaid overtime.

NO, this is not going to meet the original schedule. Or budget.

NO, this other project that is waiting in the wings is not starting until this one is done. One or the other but not both. You pick. (And get this in writing.) Now do you really insist on this redesign?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back