Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Mechanical Engineering or Engineering Technology?? 17

Status
Not open for further replies.

HaZakated

Mechanical
Jun 13, 2006
Hello,

I am 26 years old, have a wife and two children, am a sophomore in college, and faced with a desicion to make.

First of all, allow me to explain my goals in life:

> I want to be a design engineer. I want to be a creator.
> I want to make good money doing so.
> I do not want to be limited in any way when it comes to my previous goals.
> Math and physics are my strong subjects; I do not want to be in a lab problem solving someone elses designs.
> I have a passion for the theoretical side of engineering. Basically, I enjoy mathematics and creating things.

Situation:

I am an Engineering Technology major (Mechanical concentration)(Bachelor of Applied Science). I have taken 6 Engineering Technology courses in college along with many standard courses such as English, Communication, History, and Calculus. I am evaluating the feasibilty of changing my major to Mechanical Engineering (Bachelor of Science in Engineering). If I change majors, none of the Engineering Technology courses I have taken will count towards my new major.

Questions:

1) Even if I am a very motivated individual, will the engineering technology degree limit me in life at all?

2) Even if I have to spend an extra year in school (along with other added hardships), is the Mechanical engieering degree going to be worth it compared to engineering technology degree?

Thank you for your time.

Brian

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I would have to say that you will find yourself presented with greater opportunities if you have a BSME, particularly if you want to be involved on the design side of things. This is not to say that you couldn't find your dream job with an engineering technology degree, I just think that the probability of this happening would be greater with a BSME.

Answer to question 1)
In my opinion yes it COULD limit you. My experience is that it could limit you in the following two major ways. A small percentage of companies will not hire MET's. Second the ME curriculum would be better if you want to get an MS later.
2. Hard to measure the comment "worth it". Do you mean monetarily? Maybe... Maybe not. I have an MET degree and have been very successful in my career; I have 16 years experience and am employed by a company that pays me on the upper end of what an ME with my years of experience typically makes according to Design News and Salary.com surveys.

You state that you really like math. If this is true you should like the ME degree better. Do you have the time, money, and inclination to back up and go for the ME?

Others will have other opinions and experiences

If having a MET degree could possibly come between me and my goals, then I will endure any added hardships. However, a few people have the opinion that the degree will not make much of a difference. If this were the case, then I couldn't see myself taking on the added hardships.

By the way, I appreciate your comments.

Brian

Assuming you are in the US here,I can forsee the US requiring all Engineering functions being done by a PE. At that point, having the BSME would be priceless, as would attaining your PE.

You are young enough that you will probably see this transition.

Take a look in the want ads some time. Most engineering positions require a BS, even if it makes you overqualified sometimes. You'll also need it if you ever want to go for your PE license.

To me, the big advantage of the BSME is that it makes you a mechanical scientist...the buck stops with you. For example, if I'm delving into new scientific areas involved in my design, I can pick up virtually any book on the subject and understand it, no matter how much higher mathematics and advanced physical principals are presented. That's the principal reason you need all that math. You won't really use much, if any, calculus on the job, but knowing it allows you to fully understand how advanced mechanical principles work and why.

You are expected to be able to handle any mechanical, fluid, or thermodynamic situation that you come across, or be able to quickly research the problem and formulate a solution. In these situations an MET is very limited.

Don
Kansas City

Also, be aware that if you do not have a BSME your path to professional licensure as an engineer may be blocked or limited.

For instance, here in Louisiana, the law says that to be licensed as a PE, you must be either an engineering intern, meet the requirements thereof, or be already licensed in another state whose requirements don't conflict with ours. To meet the requirements for intern certification with an engineering technology degree, you must get a master's in that field at a university which also has an ABET certified undergraduate program in the same discipline. Getting a PE license from another state that doesn't have the same requirements will not allow you to gain a license here. So, spending the time to get the BSME would be worth it because it allows you to pursue licensure much more easily. In the past, experience without an engineering degree was considered to be a valid qualification, but those doors are quickly closing in favor of a more rigorous and verifiable level of training and education.

This might be of importance to you because you said you'd like to do design engineering. If you want to work for a company doing design, the PE license is not necessarily essential because there will likely be one on staff who can stamp your designs, but without the PE license, you'll never attain that position. If you are interested in striking out on your own, it is almost essential. Granted, you could always hire a PE to work for you, but that's not as fun.

If you want to attain professional licensure as an engineer and all of the benefits and responsibilities that come with it, by all means, get the BSME.

I think that for most product design engineering positions, a BET is more than sufficent. I think it's a great way to go. The only thing that really holds you back in life is you. If you let yourself believe that without a ME degree then you wont be sucessful, then you wont be sucessful. But if you let yourself believe that you are sucessful, then you will be.

Why don't you talk to your professors, and alumni of your program to find out what they are doing. That is truly the only way to know.

Oh and by the way, most of product design is "designed" by an industrial designer (ie artist) and you the engineer are expected to take their "design" and make it physically work.

Good Luck.

Wes C.
------------------------------
No trees were killed in the sending of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

I live and work in the Washington, DC USA and hold a BSME. In this part of the country (and only within my 22yrs experience as a design engineer) NO ONE is given the engineer title (and pay) without a BS in engineering or (maybe) Physics. A BSMET covers many of the same subjects but is less rigorous and more practical. If you want to be a technician then go with the MET degree. If you want to call yourself an engineer then you gotta have that BS degree!

Of course I've met PhDMEs who couldn't design their way out of a cardboard box but their baliwick is more into science and theory.

If you want to make sound design decisions you have to possess quantititave skills which the MET degree does not provide.

As for practical knowledge, it's understood that the successful BSME newgrad must rapidly learn many things that were overlooked in his degree program.

To be honest with you, unless you're a genius an engineering degree can stifle your creativity because it so heavy on the analytics (again this only within my experience). I'm sure there are incompetent BSME's and crackjack BSMETs out there! It's just that most companies hire only BSMEs (or BMEs) because they know the education is more rigorous, opens doors for graduate study, and make someone more likely to take on an analytical and/or research role.

Tunalover

My company recently revamped their pay scales. Technology graduates are 1 pay grade lower than Engineering graduates, even if doing the same work. Another engineer I work with switched from technology to engineering because when he went to talk to employers, they quit talking to him when they found out he was a technology student.

So yes, I would say the technology degree CAN limit your possiblities, especially if you desire to be a design engineer. However, that is not to say your goals cannot be realized with a technology degree. The technology degree gives you many useful skills, it will simply limit you in some companies.

One of my favorite quotes:

you should unbias yourself as to how you acquire the player and look past the name and at the production instead

Wes C.
No trees were killed in the sending of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Tell that to the major employers! Personally I wouldn't want a Physicians Assistant doing surgery on me. There are too many people who call themselves engineers that are non-degreed, under-degreed, or unlicensed. Now if only the states would mandate that all engineers be licensed and degreed, then we would at least have competency-by-regulation and licensure!

Tunalover

should have never gotten involved... should have known better.

Wes C.

Had to weigh back in on some of these comments.
Regarding the comment that "forsee the US requiring all Engineering functions being done by a PE" .... not from where I see the politically correct US heading!! Everyone is an Engineer (ie) Sanitation Engineer, (Garbage Man). Maybe they will in the Civil world but try looking at other industries.

Also the comment about "major" companies not employing MET's? Not from my experience. Largest Defense Contractor in the US employed me for three years with my MET degree.

In my 25 years experience (BSME) having a MET degree rather than a BSME degree WILL cause you some limitations. This has much more to do with the piece of paper rather than ability, but the truth is it can be a roadblock. If your resume has MET rather than BSME, many HR departments will toss your resume before they even read it thru if the stated job description says "Engineer". Now this might not apply if you stay with a single company and prove yourself, but if you would like the option of moving around, I believe you will find a big difference in the way the degrees are looked at.
Just my 2-cents worth.

"You can observe a lot just by watching"
Yogi Berra

Hazakated,

The engineers job is to solve problems. Then that changes into how to solve it for a dollar less. What training, other than "hard knocks" do you think will better prepare you to solve problems. Knowledge is one think that cannot be taken away from us.

My quote would be " You shall above all things be glad and young" e.e. cummings

Enjoy the day.

Mecoman

I have a BSMET degree.

A "real" engineering degree would have been better.

Where I went to school nights the difference was Calculus 3/4 and DIfferential equations courses. In the mid 80s my school (Lowell tech/ UMass Lowell Massachusetts) would transfer most, if not all of my machine design, strength of materials, etc credits towards a "day" degree.

Some employers did indeed turn up their noses at my BSMET (cum laude). At least 2 that hired me said they admired my diligence working and going to school. They sort of created positions to get me the pay I was asking. In my present job my experience (rotating machines, Solidworks, self taught FEA, experience with project management and DFMfg and DFAssembly ((making parts)) got me hired as a contractor. My performance and attitude turned that into a permananent position in a few months.

Including perfect grammar, apparently. Or not.

Actually a technology degree is not a sufficient qualification for a professional engineer, for at least some jurisdictions. At the very least you may be required to take extra exams.

Cheers

Greg Locock

Please see FAQ731-376 for tips on how to make the best use of Eng-Tips.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back