Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Mechanical Engineering or Engineering Technology?? 17

Status
Not open for further replies.

HaZakated

Mechanical
Jun 13, 2006
Hello,

I am 26 years old, have a wife and two children, am a sophomore in college, and faced with a desicion to make.

First of all, allow me to explain my goals in life:

> I want to be a design engineer. I want to be a creator.
> I want to make good money doing so.
> I do not want to be limited in any way when it comes to my previous goals.
> Math and physics are my strong subjects; I do not want to be in a lab problem solving someone elses designs.
> I have a passion for the theoretical side of engineering. Basically, I enjoy mathematics and creating things.

Situation:

I am an Engineering Technology major (Mechanical concentration)(Bachelor of Applied Science). I have taken 6 Engineering Technology courses in college along with many standard courses such as English, Communication, History, and Calculus. I am evaluating the feasibilty of changing my major to Mechanical Engineering (Bachelor of Science in Engineering). If I change majors, none of the Engineering Technology courses I have taken will count towards my new major.

Questions:

1) Even if I am a very motivated individual, will the engineering technology degree limit me in life at all?

2) Even if I have to spend an extra year in school (along with other added hardships), is the Mechanical engieering degree going to be worth it compared to engineering technology degree?

Thank you for your time.

Brian

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Heckler-
Are you quoting yourself?

HaZakated-
I beg to differ with Heckler. As a design engineer I do calculations frequently and many of my decisions are based on quantitative data (hand calculations and FEA). Without a quantititative education emphasizing the sciences (e.g. physic) then I would be just "winging it" which is unacceptable in some industries.

Anytime a design failure involves human lives, expensive equipment, and mission success or failure you can't "wing it." I suppose there are some industries where you can "wing it" but I've never seen a project that didn't benefit from an individual possessing common sense, pragmatism, and quantitative skills.

I've had to step in and fix situations where designers/techs were given free rein to conduct a design without an engineer's involvement.

Tunalover

Sorry Tuna I made a calculation error.....hopefuly nobody was hurt in the process. I think Wes hit the nail on the head with this quote.

Wes said:
I think that for most product design engineering positions, a BET is more than sufficent. I think it's a great way to go. The only thing that really holds you back in life is you. If you let yourself believe that without a ME degree then you wont be sucessful, then you wont be sucessful. But if you let yourself believe that you are sucessful, then you will be.

Best Regards,

Heckler
Sr. Mechanical Engineer
SW2007 SP 2.0 & Pro/E 2001
Dell Precision 370
P4 3.6 GHz, 1GB RAM
XP Pro SP2.0
NVIDIA Quadro FX 1400
o
_`\(,_
(_)/ (_)

Never argue with an idiot. They'll bring you down to their level and beat you with experience every time.

I am truly qualified to answer your question.

I have both degrees - one in MET and the other a BSME. I got my technology degree first (4 year degree) and then approximately 3 years later I got my ME.

Why?
1. I found my geographical locations for employment limited to certain areas. If I wanted to live in a certain area this was going to be a real problem.

2. The path to Professional licensing was longer (in Texas it is now 8 years vs. 4 for a BSME- it was 6 years)

3. At work, I found that my assignments were the grunt work of the ME's. Recognition was there, but the more important assignments were typically given to the BSME's.

4. ME's made more starting out although the gap closed after several years.

5. Lastly, I got tired of explaining that my MET degree was a true 4 year degree and not an associate degree. Some employers were trying to hire us at $18,000 (when the average starting salary was $29 to $30k).

6. Some employers didn't even know such a degree existed -that made job interviews start on the wrong foot.

Lastly, I have found in my 16 years of employed life - everything I have done to better my education has in fact bettered my life.

I used to tell interns that were asking the question about which path to follow:

You will most likely be able to do 80% of the same work as a full bird BSME, but you will have to explain it to every employer who doesn't know/understand what your degree is.

My last job would have been a real stretch with a MET degree due to the math and the design calculations - no one was there to teach me. However, I have hired MET knowing what they "are" and trained them to do "engineering" work.

My recommendation - get the BSME. You will not regret it.

roadapple

roadapple,

Great answer, examples and all. Star for you......

Here is my plan for now:

1) Earn BSME while working Co-op jobs/job.

2) Earn Masters of Science.

3) Earn P.E.

I think I'm starting to take shape...lol. I WILL succeed!

Thank you for your comments. Everyone has been very informative.

Brian

I have a B.S. Degree in Mechanical Engineering Technology. I'm also a P.E. If you plan on teaching I would say switch over to Mechanical Engineering. If you plan on working in Industry then I would suggest don't throw away those credits and finish in Mechanical Engineering Technology.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back