Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

medium voltage design question

Status
Not open for further replies.

geso52

Electrical
Nov 11, 2005
US
As an incidental section of a power design, I must provide the design of a 4160V service to a facility with multiple buildings where the distribution to each building will be also 4160V underground.
The main service will be backed up by one or two generators and they will be located on a central location together with the main switchboard, the synchronization switchgear and a separate switchboard with the switches (at 4160V) to each building.
I will provide a 500KVA pad mounted transformer (4160 delta-208Y/120V, 3-Phase) with a side by side 1600A, MCB panelboard at each of the 7 buildings to feed the loads within the buildings.
My main problem is my lack of knoledge with 4160V design, such as materials, methods, ground grid design, etc. Is there any publication that will give me a practical on this subject?
I would appreciate any help as I have a short deadline.

Thanks,
Geso52

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Given your lack of experience and the fact that such system can be hazardous if installed incorrectly, you may wish to consider hiring an engineer experienced in such systems for the design.

Try the IEEE Red Book.

Alehman,

Thank you for your advice; that is definetely a valid option. There are two "gray hair" engineers in town that I am planning to tap for design help. Still, I think that I need to learn medium voltage systems design and I am looking for any design guidelines that may be available. Do you happen to know of any?
Geso52

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back