Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Mercury in a hot source

Status
Not open for further replies.

robot6

Chemical
Apr 3, 2012
RU
I need to remove mercury from a gas which is produced from a hot source with ample hydrogen sulfide.

As you may know, when you get a sample tested for mercury they report it as Hg0. But you don't really know whether it is chemically combined. And in most cases, this doesn't matter, because the mercury you are removing, say from the exhaust of a coal plant, comes after combustion with oxygen, so it is in the state Hg0.

But in this case I have a small amount of mercury, say 1 ppm, which is accompanied by a large amount of hydrogen sulfide, say 10000 ppm, and it comes from a hot source, where mercury and hydrogen sulfide are known to react (above 150C). There are a few papers that indicate this is true.

Does anyone have experience in this area? Is a regular sulfur-impregnated activated carbon also appropriate for the removal of mercuric sulfide? Probably true, but is the performance downgraded or upgraded? I would like to remove the mercury first, because it can cause corrosion after it is reduced to Hg0.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I have seen liquid Hg come out of the drain on separation vessels used as oil/water sep on hot sour oil wells.
Actually I saw the Monel drain valve fail from LME.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
P.E. Metallurgy, Plymouth Tube

Interesting, this seems to suggest that the mercury should be in the free state. But I think that the mercury content can exceed the H2S content in oil wells, so this may not be a surprise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back