Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Merge Conveyor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rocksolid

Industrial
Nov 1, 2001
I am in the process of designing a merge conveyor.
It is a plyable conveyor belt. I have found some design guidelines, but not much. The conveyor has a 30 degree merge nose. It is 30 degrees from a line perpindicular to the belt flow. I am wondering if anybody has any tips or tricks in a conveyor of this type. This type of conveyor may also be known as an induction conveyor. It seems like tracking may be very hard to accomplish.
Thank-you

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Rocksolid,

It might help to know what material you are handling. Is it a solid package? Is it a bulk material? This would be very helpful in getting the best feedback. Here are some thoughts. If it is a solid package, does it need to be a belt for the last approach to the merge point? How about rollers(powered or unpowered)? Also with a merge point of solid packages you need to consider a means of stoping the flow from one direction to prevent bottlenecking of items.

From the phasing of your question, I doubt you are conveying bulk material. If you are, you don't want to merge using a flat belt conveyor on the same plane. You will have loss of material at the gap between the main conveyor and the spur.

Regards,

Rich...[viking]

Richard Nornhold, PE
nornrich@redrose.net

The Merge conveyor is handling raw dough. I am transfering at 30 degrees to feed equally feed a hoper across the diagonal opening. Since writing the first post I fabricated the conveyor. It worked and tracked very well until the belt began to stretch. The belt only seemed to stretch along the outside edges. Once the belt began to stretch tracking became harder and harder. I think I have her whipped if i can find a belt that either wont stretch very much, or one that is prestretched.
Rocky

I've got a sample of design of 45deg switching conveyer merge arm in Autocad, I can send u if interesting.
my email: artemsakovich@mail.ru

If you have only one drive roller then you are better off having the roller vulcanized with rubber and criss-cross groved like a tyre and the adjustable or tracking roller at the other end should be slightly tapered with the high point being the centre, I have found these measures lessen and in some cases prevent stretching of the belt edges and the belt tends to keep a constant tracking.
Question: Does the dough lie central on the belt or can it sit all over the place?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back