Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Mesh surface into Catia surface

Status
Not open for further replies.

kevwoogs

Mechanical
Aug 15, 2006
GB
Hi,

Does anybody know the difference betwen a poly mesh surface and a Catia surface? I wish to import 3d studio or google sketchup files into catia to use as ref parts. Trouble is that when I export them into catia as Iges or STEP they are made up of thousands of suraces. I know its not a Catia problem but does anybody know of any mesh converters or wish to explain the difference? Accuracy (within reason) is not important.

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Poly mesh is just what it sounds like - a network of polyhedral components. A "Catia" surface is a mathematical surface with UV direction and boundary conditions. (tangency, curvature, etc)

All technical discusstions aside - 3D Studio Max has an IGES export option. I would suggest that you use this. You may only get the polylines, but you can run intersecting points through them, and splines through those, to( somewhat) accurately re-create the surface data.

-----------------------------------------------------------
Catia Design|Catia Design News|Catia V5 blog

Just a thought, maybe you could use the "Automatic Surface" feature from the "Quick Surface Reconstruction" workbench to recreate the surface in Catia V5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back