Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Metal analysis using SEM of metal object

Status
Not open for further replies.

Destruct2021

Mechanical
Aug 26, 2021
US
Anyone in the Boston area have access to a SEM system that can be used for metallurgical analysis of a fragment of an artifact?

We have a small fragment from the artifact shown in the attached picture. We have tried a handheld XRF analysis but the surface is oxidized and contaminated.

We can bring the fragment to you if you're in the Boston area and could ship it to you if you're far away.

https://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=0b83d618-8005-479b-9ee8-e6e8c84bfc02&file=IMG_4263.jpeg
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

sem? scanning electron microscope? can a lab do a chemical anlaysis from a non-contaminated part of the fragment?

Rather than think climate change and the corona virus as science, think of it as the wrath of God. Feel any better?

-Dik

Yes scanning electron microscope. We used a Thermofisher XRF system (handheld) but there is rust and paint?? on the surface. We have a small fragment from the end that can be used to get to the original metal. We are looking to get a breakdown of what the metal is made from so we can evaluate its age. Ever done that before?

The data we got from the XRF scan picked up the outer material but couldn't get to the "clean" material.

https://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=ee8370d1-5180-441d-8bd2-f50d246ab0f7&file=IMG_4259.jpg
Not me... but, there may be labs locally that can test the material, and maybe able to accommodate the type of corrosion.

Rather than think climate change and the corona virus as science, think of it as the wrath of God. Feel any better?

-Dik

Thanks. We've been reaching out to universities but they don't move fast. So we figured we'd go to commercial users that may have the systems. There is a news report being created around this artifact so it'd be good PR for a company.

Good luck... I think you are on the right path... can the news article indicate that you are having difficulty in finding a lab? see what comes out of the woodwork. XRF? X-Ray Flourescence? for those not familiar with the terms...

-Dik

I'm a little confused by the question. There are quite a few labs that'll do SEM work... SEM/EDX perhaps more appropriate to your case... Element and Intertek are a couple of larger (multiple locations) labs that could likely support this type of work.

Is that what you're looking for...just a lab recommendation? Or is there more to it?

Need more information. Surface contamination that cannot be safely removed is usually a showstopper for SEM.

PMI/XRF is almost useless (like it is for almost all failure analysis).

SEM microscopes often have an integral EDS module, which is basically XRF that can look at very small areas. And as jotunn said, SEMs are not that hard to find, and I guarantee there will be at least several in the Boston area.

"Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but they are not entitled to their own facts."

For the Boston area, you can try Acuren (previously MMR) in West Boyleston.

SEMs are really only able to get to the surface anyway, since electron penetration is pretty shallow, particularly for metals. I doubt that you'll see much difference in results.

You're better off with a sample that can be destructively tested

TTFN (ta ta for now)
I can do absolutely anything. I'm an expert! faq731-376 forum1529 Entire Forum list

All you need to do using EDS is to mount a cross-section that includes the interior and use that for semi-quantitative analysis. Pretty routine.

mrfailure said:
For the Boston area, you can try Acuren (previously MMR) in West Boyleston.

Acuren bought another company, what a surprise!

"Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but they are not entitled to their own facts."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back