Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Metal deck shear transfer system 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

rfd23

Structural
Nov 9, 2007
CA
I am working on a industrial building. Elevated concrete floor on a composite metal deck. This is a electrical floor with some opening in the floor.

Welding between metal deck and steel beam depends upon shear force transfer through deck.

I am confused about the shear force.
Q.1
IS it only that storey or it should be accumlative of all stories above.
Q2.
I have a stadd model of this building. i did not model concrete floor, instead i added horizontal bracing in my model to achieve diaphragm action.
can I claculate storey shear from stadd model.
Q3
Beams along column line/bracing line has axial forces.
can I take this my shear transfer through metal deck.
I appreciate all of yours time and efforts to help me out.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Regarding #1: Normally it's only for that particular floor that you have to design the connection for, however, that depends on the detailing too, plus the lateral system type used.

I'll leave 2 and 3 to others. I have to weed wack now.

Mike McCann
MMC Engineering

1.) As noted above, it is typically on that floor.

2.) I'm not sure exactly how STAAD works, but unless it calcs your lateral loads for you (like RAM does), then you have to input the story shears. You should know which is the case.

3.) You can take it through the metal deck into the beams into the lateral system, but you have to make sure the puddle welds are ok. I would consider adding studs to some beams that you designate as "collectors" that are in line with, and adjacent to, the lateral frames.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back