Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Metal Floor Deck 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

I-beam

Structural
Oct 6, 2019
US
Exist_Slab_and_deck_sample_gc1jtb.jpg

Hi
Does anyone know what type of metal deck that is in the attached photo. The flutes are 6"oc and 2" deep, the slab is 5.5" thick
and spans 8ft. Slab has #4s @ 6" at mid-depth. I found a similar deck on-line manufactured in the UK, and it is a composite deck,
and shows headed studs welded to the sheet between the flutes. In the attached photo you can see a dimple in the bottom of the deck
that may be indicative of a welded stud location.
I am hoping to find the manufacturer and load tables for this deck. This deck was cut from a building in New England.
Thanks so much

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Some sort of dovetail deck. Looks to be pretty heavy gauge actually - 16ga? What sort of framing system is in the building? I would say it could be some sort of infinity systems EPICORE MSR deck, but the dovetails look a little too wide, and gauge is a little heavy. The deck doesnt appear to be composite (at least not like any composite deck i'm used to). Composite deck typically has deformations along the flutes to grab the concrete. Headed studs would typically only be installed on top of a composite beam - welded from the top down. You'd see a big gnarly weld, and a beam attached to the deck... Whats that bolt sticking out of the top? Used to keep the chunk of floor from falling out of the bottom?
I'm guessing this big chunk was supposed to be removed? Because the floor is now missing a decent amount of rebar. But this could be at a lap splice.

The available heaviest deck thickness is only up to 16 gage, but the Vulcraft load table might be useful. Link Looks like it has no problem to span 8'.

This deck was used in a retrofit in old textile mill in Maine to replace the wood decking in a few bays. The supporting wood girders were sistered with C12s, so it was likely for supporting a fairly heavy piece of equipment. I found the attached deck info on the web - from the UK.
So my question remains, which US deck manufacturer would have supplied this...

https://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=476329cd-0f93-4230-9254-ae4339d08756&file=metfloor-brochure_6.pdf
NJ92 - you nailed it - thank you, exactly what I was trying to find. The deck does have a nice appearance.
It actually looked liked the underside of the wood decking it replaced with the narrow joints.
Thanks all for valuable feed back.

Glad I could help and thanks for the stars guys. I guess my first post on this site was a success.

A few of my colleagues have had projects recently that used the Versa-dek so when I saw the non-standard deck profile in the picture, it immediately came to mind. The long span/deep deck options like the Versa-dek or Bailey's Comslab have actually come up quite a few times recently as an alternative to precast planks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back