Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Metallurgy and Materials PE Exam 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

BMKDE

Materials
Apr 10, 2014
US
Hey guys and gals - I am looking to find any and all information regarding the materials PE exam. I have found the TMS sutdy guides and the recommended books list on TMS. Has anyone found anything else that they are planning to use for the exam? I am looking to take the exam in 2015 but want to get a head start on gathering any and all materials that I can for the test.

It seems like there isn't quite as much out there for the exam - is that because there just aren't that many people taking the materials based exam (I assume this is the case). How is the new all multiple choice format?

Hope everyone is well.

BMK

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

TMS sells a sample test book that was very useful. Taking the time to study is worth it as the test is geared to a very broad range across the materials (primarily metallurgy) world. The folks who set up the test seam to be more academically inclined than the general practicing world of metallurgists (as you would expect from TMS rather than ASM having control of the test).

Thanks for the replies - I am starting to gather materials for study (likely for 2015 per work schedule). I am also wondering if the metallurgy/materials exam is the correct one to take. My background is biomedical engineering (BS) and materials science and eingineering (MS). Both are very broad subjects so I know a little bit about a lot of things but don't feel confident yet in any one specialty - but if I were to pick one, it would be metallurgy/materials. Is there any other area that may be worth considering with that type of background? I am in the nuclear industry (although I have been working for about 8 years, I am a new hire to this industry)and know that there is a nuclear PE exam that looks like it has a good deal of materials realted subjects.

I will be moving forward with prep. for the metallurgy exam unless there are some ideas from the forum to explore other subject areas as possible fits.

Thanks again for any and all input.

The TMS sample questions will give you a good feel whether you are outside your element or have studied the concepts in school that will be on the Metallurgy/Materials test. You may want to check out the Mechanical Engineering PE as well based on your background.

Thanks mrfailure - I looked at the curriculum for the chemical PE and may look closer at that if the metallurgy/materials seems out of bounds. The closer I look at it though, I think this is my best shot at it. I just switched careers and the PE would be needed for advancement so I want to get it as soon as possible. Thanks for the input.

Has anyone who took the 2013 exam have any additional tips? I'm prepping for the oct2014 in CA and I agree some of the TMS questions are not the most applicable for the manufacture practicing metallurgist. I know last year TMS did a survey of MT PE so I am wondering if the questions may shift a little.
also is 3 months enough time to prep?

for the record- OCT14 Results posted:
50 people sat and 20 passed.

34 first timers w/16 pass & 16 repeaters w/4 passing.

4 passed in CA (including me :> ) so I guess 2-3 months is enough time to prep, but 6 months would be a less stressful and more complete study program.

As usual it has a very low pass rate, so study hard if your going to sit for it.

*Still annoyed that the TMS study guide has errors in it- AND I never got a response from them regarding such.

I wonder how Metallurgical/Materials compares to other disciplines. Is the test so difficult that we might as well not retest if we do not pass the first time?

I don't know if I would call the test harder, but the coverage is so broad that it poses a real challenge.
Everything from HT of steel to ore processing in a mine.
Granted you only need to know a portion of it, but that portion you must know very well.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
P.E. Metallurgy, Plymouth Tube

The problem is that the pass/fail numbers skew easily from year to year because of the limited number of initial test takers and re-takers in comparison to other engineering disciplines - thousands may sit for one exam (e.g, Mechanical). No doubt the exam is difficult because of the broad spectrum that materials and metals covers. I have seen pass rates of 60% and retakes at 50% over the last 10 years.

From someone who participates on the exam committee, I think the candidate pool will be shrinking and the test will no longer be attractive to new materials/metals engineers.

Why should one take the exam? Do we have statistics showing the benefits to have the license? say increasing promotion chance, salary increase by 10%, 20%..., better career path etc.? Is the exam nationwide, or international?

Do I have to travel to CA physically to take the exam?

Having the license sounds pretty cool especially given that the passing rate was that low. However, if only 50 people took the exam per year, the attractivness is a bit doubtful. It would be more attractive to me if 1000 took exam with a passing rate of 10%.

Pondering metengr's comments, I think the most valuable thing I got out of the PE exam experience was it drew me into this most valuable forum, which helps me far more than the PE certificate does.

The signficance of a Metallurgical/Materials PE is far less (basically, a credential) than it is for Civil, Electrical, and Mechanical engineers who have to sign off on designs involving life-or-death.

MagBen;

Why should one take the exam? Do we have statistics showing the benefits to have the license? say increasing promotion chance, salary increase by 10%, 20%..., better career path etc.? Is the exam nationwide, or international?

Search this forum for metallurgical PE threads. Lots of good responses.

Do I have to travel to CA physically to take the exam?

No. The test is given in each State and is administered by NCEES. Look them up on their web site.

The real reason for an engineer in industry to take the test is so that I can do consulting ans advertise that I am an 'engineer'.
It also looks good on my business cards. I spell out that I am a licensed professional metallurgical engineer.

I thought you had to have five years in that discipline before you was able to sit for the P.E.. Although I am not an engineer I know at my company if the engineers do not pass Th P.E within a certain amount of time, they loose their job. We have one technician that use to be on the engineer staff but cannot pass the P.E so he was moved down.

In some fields, civil, structural, municipal water system, and such there is a mandate for PE. The origins of the system are related to public safety.
In industry there is a blanket exemption. A company can call anyone and engineer (and they do) without a license.
Some companies that do a lot of civil work have internal requirements for specific positions that are more restrictive.

Here is the link for the PE results for those interested:

Technically I didn't 'need' to take the exam, as I don't do external consulting …yet :)

I do interface with several PE's (civil/mech/EE/Cr) and with a coworker who IS a met PE. So there was a bit of pride factor.

While a PE is only required at my company for senior technical management progress (e.g. principle technical director), the I.C. (worker bees) only have a minor variation of given title to conform to title standards. I.E. even though my degree is in Metallurgical Engineering my title was Materials engineer. Civil/Mechs/EE use associate or technologist if they don't have PE.

That aside, I can't say having a PE has direct benefit for me currently. Going forward in my career it may not be quantifiable what positions/opportunities are opened because I DO have it- but I felt 'can't hurt' right? it looks good on resumes PLUS the best part is you can use a rubber stamp on your reports!

I was also lucky enough my current employer fully supported (via study time off) me sitting for the PE. That is a big help, and I would recommend those thinking about sitting asking for support as part of their development.

The scope on the test is vast, which I think does keep the pass rate down. But the exam is the exam.

I did miss out on a lot of after work gossip at the watering hole to instead read the ASMhandbook or dieter or EngStats book. etc... :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back