Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Method of associatively ballooning multiple models in a drawing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

frusso110

Mechanical
Feb 2, 2012
US
Hi,

In the USA defense industry it is quite common to have multiple "dash" numbers of an assembly. These represent different arrangements or configurations that are similar to one another.

At my company we would balloon these out on a single drawing in whatever way quickly shows the difference between the two numbers (call them 123a456-1 and 123a456-2)

In NX 8.5 (soon to upgrade to NX10), I'm looking for a method of ballooning multiple dash numbers using associative (auto) balloons on a single drawing. We would have two master models 123a456-1 and 123a456-2 that would be detailed in file called 123a456DWG.

Right now, assembly arrangements are not used due to a separate material requirement planning process. However, if the only way to do this properly is using arrangements, then that is my answer for now, I suppose.

Thanks,
Frank

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

As a first, I think, you have to allow for multiple revisions in an assembly. Also you need to allow for multiple parts lists on the Drawing. Then it should not be an issue I guess.

Otherwise you are indeed stuck on arrangements...

Ronald van den Broek
Senior Application Engineer
Winterthur Gas & Diesel Ltd
NX9 / TC10.1.2
HPZ420 Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-1620 0 @ 3.60GHz, 32 Gb Win7 64B
Nvidea Quadro4000 2048MB DDR5

HP Zbook15
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4800MQ
CPU @ 2.70 GHz Win7 64b
Nvidia K1100M 2048 MB DDR5

Hi,
If you are willing to undertake this activity outside of NX. I would highly recommend InspectionXpert for CAD.
This product allows you to import NX native drawings and auto balloon every callout in a single click. You can also import multiple files auto compare revisions
and create Balloons PDF's 2d and 3d drawings and much more.

Regards James

Thank you for your reply. No we are not willing to undertake the activity outside of NX.

If you add two parts lists two a drawing, does the auto balloon feature still work? In my testing I haven't gotten it to work, yet.

If you have more than two parts list per drawing the auto balloon feature does not work. This is how I have understood it for now.

Thank you SDETERS. I thought that might be the case.

Can anyone confirm this for NX10?

I suspect arrangements would work... But the PL might be screwy.

Let me just confirm:

1. You are creating a new assembly of the two sub-assemblies.
2. Then you are creating a drawing of this assembly.

The reason I'm asking is that you can also add components to a drawing without creating a new assembly.

If you use either method the BOM will add both assemblies components into a single part count list. So in other words if you have 1x component XYZ-1 in assembly 123a456-1 and 2x component XYZ-1 in assembly 123a456-2 then the BOM count for component XYZ-1 will be 3.

Auto-ballooning does work on multiple views of a drawing though.

I have a drawing 123a456DWG that defines the assemblies

123a456-1
123a456-2

Suppose these two assemblies are made up of find numbers 1 - 50.

I want to use Auto-Balloons to balloon out these find numbers throughout the entire drawing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back