Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Metric Beam Engineering Data

Status
Not open for further replies.

RLJ

Mechanical
Jan 8, 2001
US
I am currently working a project that requires the use of metric sized beams. Parker Steel International provided data for general sizing and drafting.

What I need now is firm engineering data; section modulus, moments of inertia, etcetera.

The particular beams that I am currently interseted in are:
IPB1 DIN1025 160, IPB1 DIN1025 200 and IPB1 DIN1025 220. However, I would like a source to acquire this data for channels, angles and other beam sizes as well.

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

RLJ s-)

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The conversions are pretty simple if you already have the data in imperial units:
- Section Moduli: 1 in^3 = 16.387x10^3 mm^3
- Moment of Intertia: 1 in^4 = 0.416231x10^6 mm^4
- Stress: 1 kip/in^2 = 6.896 MPa

We got in to trouble a few years back by assuming that sections listed in the European tables were all readily available. This is not the case. Check with a supplier or your client regarding availability of the sections.

Thanks for the helpful replies.

Does anyone here have similar information about steel sizes that are available in China?

I am looking for typical beam, channel and angle sizes available and engineering data, using the beam sizes in the original post as a starting point.

RLJ s-)

I worked with a Structure Design Program that had several options, among them one that referred to Japanese Codes.

Surprisingly, all units were metric.

Other way is to contact "Instituto Mexicano de la Construccion en Acero", or "canacero", both in Mexico.

These are private associations funded by manufacturers ogf steel products.

I hope tis helps.

Jorge Leautaud

I worked with a Structure Design Program that had several options, among them one that referred to Japanese Codes.

Surprisingly, all units were metric.

Other way is to contact "Instituto Mexicano de la Construccion en Acero", or "canacero", both in Mexico.

These are private associations funded by manufacturers of steel products.

I hope this helps.

Jorge Leautaud

You could use the 'Handbook of Steel Construction' published by the Canadian Institute of Steel Construction. In North America sections are designated by their nominal depth and their mass in Kg/m (much as they are in U.S.-Conventional). So, for example, a U.S.-Conventional W16x57 is called a W410x85 in metric.

RLJ: I have encountered DIFFERENT "standards" in Russia, South America and in China than anything used in US/NA. My solution was to specify sizes based on US/NA and let the foreign country do the conversions. Only in one case did they come back and ask for minimum properties (area, moment of inertia, etc.). But in all cases, they picked an equivalent (or larger) size.

A sincere 'Thank you' to all that replied to this string.

Your comments and direction have been a great help.

We now have a company representative in China and I look forward to getting more information on this subject.

Until then, thanks again.

RLJ s-)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back