Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Metric to inch file conversion

Status
Not open for further replies.

jtrist

Automotive
Feb 4, 2014
US
Where I work, we are working on nx 8.0.3.4. I have been using the UG conversions file to get a file from mm to inches. Now I have NX 10 loaded on my computer. If I use the conversion program it spits the new inch file out in 10, but I still need to work in 8. Is there a way to change this default so that it comes out in 8?

Thanks for the help.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

What do you mean when you say "I have been using the UG conversions file"

Are you running the UG_CONVERT_PART utility or something else?

John Joyce
N.C. Programming Supervisor
Barnes Aerospace, Windsor CT
NX7.5, NX9.0, NX10.0(Testing)
Vericut7.3.3

I use the ug_convert_part.exe

Here is the bat program I have pointing to it.

@echo off
set PATH=%PATH%;UGII_ROOT_DIR%
%UGII_ROOT_DIR%\ug_convert_part.exe -in %1
Pause

Thanks for the help.

Jim T

Since NX 10 was the most recent version installed, the UGII_ROOT_DIR variable will point to the NX 10 location. If you are still performing the bulk of your work in NX 8, I'd suggest changing the variable to point to your NX 8 location.

If you need to work with multiple versions of NX, instead of using the usual shortcut to start NX; you could create a .bat file for each version that will set the environment variables correctly for that particular version before starting NX. Siemens offers an "unofficial" utility to do just this; the NX 10 version can be found here:
With some digging, you can probably still find the NX 8 version somewhere.

Alternatively, you could edit your current "change units" .bat file to point to the NX 8 location rather than using the environment variable.

www.nxjournaling.com

Why not create a new Inch start part and start your parts in the proper units?

"Wildfires are dangerous, hard to control, and economically catastrophic."

Ben Loosli

You know this is a simple statement that shows I get stuck in one direction some times. "Why not create a new Inch start part and start your parts in the proper units?" Thank you looslib.

The fact is, the wrong units where applied because I directly opened a parasolid or stp instead of importing into a blank inch file. No need to convert if you start with the right units. This will cover 80 percent of my issues. I will change where the .bat file is looking to fix the rest.

Thanks again to all for the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back