Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Metric wide flange steel section properties 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

TFL

Structural
Aug 8, 2003
US
Hello All,

I am in america and I need to get some information on wide flange structural steel metric cross sections. A client of our's is putting a piece of equipment on a platform in South Korea and we are tasked to check the capacity of the existing structure. Since in america we are metric impaired i am asking for some help.

The two sections we are looking at are:

W450mm x 300mm x 124 kg/m and W350mm x 175mm x 49.6 kg/m

We need the usual info: S, I, thickness of flange and web. i assume the first number is the depth and the second is the width of the flange.

Also, does anyone know what typical yield strengths are in that part of the world. I assume they are similiar to here. Whick would be 36ksi (about 250 MPa) up until about mid to early 90's and 50 ksi (about 345 MPa) after that. Does this seam appropriate?

Thanks in advance for any help
tfl

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

There used to be a small orange cover supplement by AISC for metric shapes. It used to be that you could call your local fabricator and get one for free.

The 345MPa to 50 ksi is good as is the 250Mpa to 36 ksi but I wouldn't know about the market in Korea.

W450x300 124kg/m the table list a 460x128 for which the flange is 282.0. This could be the hard conversion used by AISC at the time. According to the booklet, this is equivalent to a W18x86 lbs/ft. Since the dimensions are off I won't go into detail.

W350x175 49.6kg/m the table list a 360x179 for which the flange is 373. According to the booklet, this is equivalent to a W14x120.

I hope this helps get you into the ballpark with I, S and bf.

Regards,
Qshake
[pipe]
Eng-Tips Forums:Real Solutions for Real Problems Really Quick.

Staad-Pro has these sections in its database under Korean sections. The properties of W450x300x124 are:
A=157.4 cm^2
D=440mm
Bf=300mm
Tf=18mm
Tw=11mm
Iz=56100 cm^4
Iy=134.56 cm^4
Zx=2727.60 cm^3
Zy=822.20 cm^3
and the W350x175x49 are:
A=63.1 cm^2
D=350 mm
Bf=175 mm
Tf=11 mm
Tw=7 mm
Iz=13600 cm^4
Iy=19.28 cm^4
Zx=840.90 cm^3
Zy=172.50 cm^3
I hope that helps

Cheers

If you go to which is the National Institute of Building Sciences website, it has several documents available regarding metric construction standards for all types of building materials and conversions between metric and US customary. Additonally, the third edition of LRFD has conversion tables in the back for metric sizes.

Regards,

AUCE98

A note of caution - My metric (European) profiles do not contain the beam sizes given. You need to confirm if the stated sizes are actually correct.

Secondly, in the middle east, very weak steel grades are available, lower that both US and European 'normal' values. You will need confirmation of the grade of steel proposed.

Thirdly, Some years ago I had experience of a fabricator who proposed to make up the sections out of plate steel, rather than use hot rolled sections. This had a significant effect as the UK codes made a stength reduction for fabricated sections.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back