Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Miami Beach, Champlain Towers South apartment building collapse, Part 03 148

Status
Not open for further replies.
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

GPR_Tech (Civil/Environmental) 7 Jul 21 15:22 Any thoughts on the NYT article? See related DWG's that I could find for the SOUTH [not north said:
Towers S.6 Second Floor Framing Plan (Pg.28 of 336) & (Pg.110 of 336) Typical Notes #5 at least 25% of all column strip reinf. shall be centered over the column as explained in typ. flat plate det. - see sheet S.11 S.11 Flat plate Sections and Details (Pg.38 of 336) & (Pg. 237 of 336) S.5 Lobby Level Framing Plan (Pg.31 of 336) & (Pg. 162 of 336) & (Pg. 210 of 336) & (Pg. 234 of 336)]

What I would say about this is that the original plans are so sloppy that its impossible to be certain of the slab reinforcement that was required at each of the columns. 25% of the "column strip reinforcement" is a very poor way to call this out in the plans and highly prone to an incorrect interpretation by the contractor. I'm sure someone will comment that this is common practice, however it is not best practice.

1503-44 (Petroleum)7 Jul 21 15:48 said:
A specific context would help.
In the transcript:
00:24
uno llega con helado está ingresando por
00:24
one arrives with ice cream is entering by

03:19
la gente que salvo jugarse en contra
03:23
alma de piel lados
03:25
y entregado a carrió está la pileta ya
03:28
que dicen que también perdía mucha agua
03:19
the people who except play against
skin soul sides
03:25
and delivered to carrió is the pool already

SF Charlie
Eng-Tips.com Forum Policies

Before I saw Geezer's translation of the video, I made my own. After finishing that I noticed Geezer's translation, so I did not post my own, basically because Geezer's translation was absolutely perfect. There was no need to post an identical translation.

Geezer's Spanish text posted above exactly matches the video. At 00:24 the video reads

00:24 "uno llega con el auto ingresando por"
00:25 "Collins en rumbo hacia el norte y tenía"

one arrives by car entering from Collins [Ave.] towards the north and you have to leave [the car] there.

Nothing about "helado" ice cream, (gelado means cold, or freezing, as in "Estoy gelado. Or Estoy congelado", an "h" is silent, "g" nearly so, depending on regional dialects, and I dont see that or "Alma de piel" anywhere in the transcript. Neither do I see
"03:19
the people who except play against
skin soul sides"

"Is there some other transcript, not Geezer's, that you refer to?

1503-44 said:
capable of standing if, for example a floor beam let go and fell onto the lower one

The ACI (American Concrete Institute) code limits the maximum reinforcement in a concrete beam so that it fail in ductile tension (gradual and noticeable) rather than a shear failure (no warning) for just this reason. If the failure is slow and obvious, there is time to evacuate or shore up the beam, column, etc.

Yes, thats exactly what should happen, but it apparently did not, or the action was too fast between fatal crack initiation and failure, such as to allow evacuation. Max tension steel is not exactly a dynamic calculation either, so how long it should be in the ductile failure mode to allow safe discovery and still permit adequate response time? That is not exactly a specified amount of time. So did it take 3 years in an unrecognizable dire state of alarm? That's not a warning, if nobody gets alarmed. Was it cracking for 24h in a ductile condition, yet nobody heard or saw alarming cracks? Or was it dectile for only 10m after a smack by a drunk driver? It would appear that the potential for a rapid dynamics of failure mode needs to be addressed. It would appear that survivors had at best 10m. Thats bearly enough time to get out of a two story building in broad daylight, if I remember my earthquake experiences; I've had quite a few, at night, I could only get under the pillow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back