Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Miami Beach, Champlain Towers South apartment building collapse, Part 12 60

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

apper.42 (Structural)7 Sep 21 01:49 said:
Although no test results from cores have been revealed
1. Yes, except for some PR from NIST, nothing new has been revealed.
2. Core were taken in 2020 and (some) results were presented to the apartment association and can be found in "Minutes of BOARD OF DIRECTORS MEETING held Wednesday, October 14th, 2020 at 7:00 PM".
Morabito_CTS_Condo_Phase_IIA_SoWP_Oct_13_2020_Fig_5_1st_floor_deck_cores_upper_eph69s.png
Morabito_CTS_Condo_Phase_IIA_SoWP_Oct_13_2020_Fig_5_1st_floor_deck_cores_lower_afqupn.png

I understand that more core were drilled and someone (Demented? or YouTuber BuildingIntegrity?) has found photos of them, but I don't know where?

SF Charlie
Eng-Tips.com Forum Policies

One thing no one has mentioned is that when a contractor last year took those core samples, it appears they cored right through rebar. I always thought this was a no-no. In fact, Surfside sent out guidelines to building owners stating to use GPR (Ground Penetrating Radar) first before taking core samples, to avoid hitting rebar. It is no strange coincidence to me that the core sample which penetrated the rebar was taken just inches to the left of column M11.1, right next to the planter box. You have seen me point out in several of my videos since June about how they left that core site open with Bob's barricade there, and in some other MLS photos, seems like no covering was ever put back on the 3' x 3' exploration site. these core sites are required to be filled back in and returned to the state they were in before the sampling, pretty much the same day if possible.

Basement Floor (lowest level below-grade)
o Perform GPR (ground penetrating radar) to determine slab thickness and to locate
reinforcing steel, if reinforced (conventional slab on ground or reinforced slab on
ground).
o, Take one set of three concrete cores (after GPR to avoid reinforcing steel) for
compressive strength testing per AC! standards and one core for petrographic
examination per ICRI standards. Repair cored holes in accordance with ICRI industry
standards.
o GPR column for vertical reinforcing steel and lateral ties (measuring spacing) for the full
height of that lift. Verify vertical column reinforcing splices,
o Take one VA" diameter maximum 3"-depth core In column (after GPR to avoid
reinforcing steel) for compressive strength testing per ACI standards and petrographic
examination per ICRI standards. Immediately repair cored holes in accordance with ICRI
industry standards.

root_cause_thumbnail_ded1xv.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back