Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

micrologix 1500 and RSLinx communication error

Status
Not open for further replies.

bucks7756

Electrical
Aug 4, 2005
US
When I try to communicate with the micrologix 1500 I get an error "unable to verify settings due to packet timeout in rslinx". I am using the right COM port, the plc is on and I am using a RS-232 DF1 device in RSLinx. However, I am using a usb-serial converter on my notebook. Anybody have any suggestions?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If you don't have a serial port on your computer, try a different USB to serial converter. Some converters are better than others. For example some may not be able to set baud rate from the OS.

Another thing to try is to reset the coms to the default. Open the door where the battery is. near the side where the status lights are, you will see a small button labeled DCOM. Press this button until the status light "DCOM" lights. This will set port zero (round connector) to the default settings. Should be 9600 8N1. Also sets the protocol to DF-1 point to point. The protocol on the M1500 prorts can be set to something other than DF-1 (for example Modbus RTU).

It has been my experience working with Allen Bradley Plc units a USB to 9 pin rs232 converter/gender changer will not work. It will work with Modicon type PLC units. I have tried numerous ways with no success. Your best alternative would be to purchase a laptop with a serial port.

RLGAuto.

Here is something to check.. The USB to serial converter I have defaults my COM port to COM4. To verify this, hook the cables to the PLC (null modem will probably be needed) and go to RSLinx to configure the DF1 port. Select COM4 and click Auto Configure. If it says "Auto Configure successful" you know you have the correct COM port. If not swap the null modem or try a different COM port(your computer may default to a different port).

You must see "Auto Configure successful" to know you are connected properly.

I had a similar problem a while back and I found it defaulted to COM4.

Regards

I have had this problem as well. The USB convertor does work (brand Keyspan), but the Auto config does not. You have to have the correct settings, in order to communicate (not always easy). I have had the same problem with another converter as well. And like "RLGAUTO" I have had one that does not work at all. It would be nice to know of one that the Autoconfigure worked on an buy that for my service department computers.

I would make sure the latest version of the driver is installed for the usb-serial device. Then i would check my comms on my pc and match them with the com i am selecting in rs linx. (Com 4 or 5) The do a auto config and u should see a "Auto Configure successful".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back