Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Micropile Construction

Status
Not open for further replies.

FEM4Structures

Structural
Jan 1, 2014
US
Hi,

I am trying to introduce a column in a tightly space area of an existing floor. 14"x14" space such that walls on three sides and open access to the confined space from one side for the equipment. Loads are in range of 35 kips in tension due to a relocated cantilevered beam at Mezzanine Level.

Does 14"x14" available space with wider access side (only one side) more than enough to bring in micro-pile equipment for constructing the pile?

Thanks,

FEM4Structures

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Probably not enough space. However, you should talk to a local micropile contractor to find out for sure. They may have a small drill rig or be able to install the pile from an upper floor level with more room. One drilled and grouted micropile would be very expensive. You may also be able to install a helical pile with a small hand-held hydraulic drive head. Installing a helical pile would be less messy and noisy. 35 kips tension should be easy for a helical, as long as the ground conditions are suitable for a helical pile.

There are a number of drill rigs that can install micropiles and which can fit through a 3' wide doorway. For a job this small, I would talk to a local drilling contractor to see what is available locally and also consider a helical pier. A Bobcat may be too big.

Like PEI said, call a local contractor. Most of limited access rigs I have seen have bits and bobs at the drill head that are wider than 14". Even the 'hand held' units that bolt to a wall seemed larger than 14".

Call A. B. Chance or Danbros Distributors about their smaller drive heads for helical piles and anchors. I have one of their older catalogs that shows a 6000 ft-lb drive head that is only 13 inches in diameter. They may also have other heads with similar torque ratings, even hand-held drive heads, that may fit within 14 inches.

I have a 13,000 ft lb drive from Digga that is 12" in dia. Helical would work in that size constraint. Also TEI has a man portable drill that can install 30mm hollow bar that might work for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back