Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MIL-PRF-38201D

Status
Not open for further replies.

rlangdon

Industrial
Mar 10, 2004
US
We are dealing with an oxygen filler valve that calls out reliability testing at an Inspection Level II. Which for our lot size, the sample size would be 50. In the previous rev of MIL-PRF-38201D, which is MIL-V-38201C, the Inspection level is S-1, which would be a sample size of 3. Our QAR (government rep) pointed this out and we are in need of some guidance as to how to prove the intent of the document. Any suggestions?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

No, our company has been quite lax on conforming to specs called out in the contracts. I have been here for about 18 months and an just now discovering all of these nonconformances to the specs. We were testing to MIL-V-38201C, but I guess no one ever updated our test procedures when it changed to MIL-PRF-38201D. So now I am stuck with setting up this testing.

My company has dealt with Uncle Sam for over 30 years.

I would really recommend you get ahold of your mil-specs before you quote.

If you bid an item, you're effectively agreeing to their requirements on that item.

Langdon - is your firm ISO? do you have a MIL-I-45208 plan in place? Does your firm mostly quote non-government business?

Anyway, in this case, I would clear off a table, and lay out a copy of the contract, all the drawings cited in the contract, and all applicable specs called out in the contract and in any of the drawings.

Consider the following -
1) Drawings often contain notes that override mil-spec requirements. If you have the latest revision of the drawing, (as cited in the contract), and it says something different than the mil-spec, roll with it.

2) Contract notes/details may override drawing notes or specs requirements.

So, regardless of what qty is described in the mil-prf-38201D, there is a possibility that you will have to test more, less, or even 100%.

"proving the intent" of a mil-spec is an odd concept to me... Spec's are often confusing, read the applicable sections over a bunch of times and they start to make sense.

Keep in mind, the specs are demanding you answer a yes/no question - does the item meet it's requirements?

hth
-rob

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back