Millimeter Tolerances-Title Block

Status
Not open for further replies.

macduff

Mechanical
Dec 7, 2003
US
All,
I'm looking for title block defaults for millimeters tolerances. Industry standard preferred.

Example:

.X +/- ?
.XX +/- ?
.XXX +/- ?

Thanks,

Macduff [spin]
Colin Fitzpatrick
Mechanical Design Engineer
Solidworks 2006 SP 4.1
Dell 380 XP Pro SP 2
nVida Quadro FX 3450/4000

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

aerospace for me Chris

Macduff [spin]
Colin Fitzpatrick
Solidworks 2006 SP 4.1
Dell 380 XP Pro SP 2

What is your tolerancing standard? If you use ISO-2768, then you have tolerance tables and you don't use that in the titleblcok.
We used X and .X = +/- 1.5, .XX = +/- .8 and .XXX = +/- .4

"Wildfires are dangerous, hard to control, and economically catastrophic."

Ben Loosli
Sr IS Technologist
L-3 Communications

I looked up the aerospace tol standards. The numbers are all over the place. It depends on the type of features and its intent. Sorry, but I can not send a copy of the specs.

Chris
Systems Analyst, I.S.
SolidWorks 06 4.1/PDMWorks 06
AutoCAD 06
ctopher's home (updated 06-21-06)

Our Japanese partner uses JIS B0405, which bases the tolerance of a metric dimension on how large it is, and what meterial is being dimensioned:

Code:
Dimension            Tolerance          Tolerance for 
Range                for Metal (+/-)    Resin/Rubber (+/-)
0.5-3                  0.1                  -
3-6                    0.1                0.2
6-30                   0.2                0.5
30-120                 0.3                0.8
120-315                0.5                1.2
315-1000               0.8                2
1000-2000              1.2                3

This makes a lot of sense, really. It's just not realistic to expect the same tolerance for a 2 meter part as for a 2mm part.

My recommendation is x.xx +/- 0.12, x.x +/- 0.25, x +/- 0.5. Do not use x.xxx for millimetres. But you should use what works best for you based on your company experience and your machine shop (or suppliers).

I use

because that is close to our standard inch tolerances of

(and they are nice neat numbers, really makes me happy)

Best to consider your parts and manufacturing processes and go from there. This answer should come from inside your own organization.

In general trailing zero's are removed with metric dimensioning. For machined parts for example, a standard tolerance of .1mm (.004") can be applied to all dimensions unless otherwise noted. Other tolerances are noted on an individual basis that correlate to the function of the feature.

Thanks guys for all your help. I think EngJW nailed it on the head because the inch standard is very close to ours.

Thanks a good all,

Macduff [spin]
Colin Fitzpatrick
Solidworks 2006 SP 4.1
Dell 380 XP Pro SP 2

I got a design from an old optical physics guy the other day on this 8 element lens design, where he gave me positions to make a socket to hold the elements, but his positioning called for 10 micron tolerances in like 10 places in order to get the elements to focus properly for the desired image resolution. I was like are you freakin kidding me. I have to design and edm this socket for the elements but I couldn't believe someone would actually put those tolerances on a design. We make Volkswagens, not Space Shuttles, and hell, even the Huble needed a contact lens. I called the guy back and told him to get me a design that could actually be made.

In the plastics world I like the shots to hold +/-.2 mm tolerances on two decimal place dims.

RFUS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back