Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Milling carbon filled UHMW

Status
Not open for further replies.

SVanden

Mechanical
Feb 25, 2003
US
I'm looking for any suggestions on milling carbon filled UHMW. The problem we are having is that the chips aren't clearing, and just "fuzzing" up. Using a 2 flute 0.218" dia ballnose cutting 0.046" dp with the tip, our max spindle speed is 5k and thats where we are running. I think the main problem with the process is that we are using a rotary table (max 15rpm rotation) to change part orientation during cutting, and the geometry dictates a feed of 3 ipm due to the ro-tab.

I am considering a vortex tube cold air gun, but don't think it will have sufficient velocity to blow the chips out before they re-weld theirselves back to the stock mat'l.

Svanden

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Vortec cooling would certainly be something to try and it uses a relatively inexpensive device, the cost being the compressed air to power it. We have used up to three devices at a time on a milling machine.

One other method we used for machine cooling where we needed a large volume of cold air was a modified industrial spot cooler. I don’t see why one of the portable room air conditioners couldn’t be modified to cool the machining operation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back