Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Mineral gurus please reply! Zeolites

Status
Not open for further replies.

aspearin1

Chemical
Nov 5, 2002
US
Laumontite! It's got a nice cation exchange capacity, only most web searches come up with mineral collectors' websites, because it's also kinda pretty. So I ask if anyone out there has some industrial experience with this zeolite. How well does it work for you? And were is a good place to get it in the -40 to -300 mesh range? Also, are there any other calcium rich (low sodium and potassium) zeolites you might also suggest in its place. Thank you in advance, all who reply.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Absolutely!
I believe that category includes cenospheres.
Float on water. MSDS sheets available.
A source for cenospheres in that size range is:
Brad Simmons, President
Simmons Cenospheres
West Hwy 11E, Lee Highway
Abingdon, Virginia 24212

Another source is:
Lyler Hartsock, PhD, Plant Manager
Hwy 82, box 302
Clinch River Plant
Carbo, Virginia 24266

Thanks for your reply, EngineerBSME. I have tried to look into cenospheres (since your reply). I can't find any such company as Simmons Cenospheres, or even a city called Carbo in Virginia. If you have contact with these people, I would appreciate a website or other possibility of interpersonal contact. Also, though the cenospheres show a similar chemical structure to zeolites, I have not seen any literature on their use as catalyst or for cation exchange. This is mainly what I am looking for. Again, if you know of any relative literature, I'd appreciate the resource. Thanks again.
aspearin

Too bad NASA didn't use cenospheres rather than square tiles on the space shuttle. There are some cenospheres located in the shuttle nose cone but that technology was developed over 20 years ago. Recent developments make high strength semi-rigid heat resistant heat shields from bonded cenopsheres. Also, Bob Young (below) recently developed a coating for flyash LOI that renderes ash technically viable for environmentally friendly use (concrete, etc) with up to 15% LOI. Most states limited the allowable LOI to about 6% because of technical limitations eons ago when the laws were written.

The most advanced cenosphere research can be found at website:
One technical expert is Robert D. Young, PhD, Penn State
e-mail: rdy@satx.net
The physical collection of the cenospheres is accomplished by Brad Simmons, President, Simmons Cenospheres, Hwy 11, Abingdon, Va. Attn: Cherokee Construction Company

Other sources include American Coal Ash Association:
Phd Arijit
Or search for cenospheres on website: Improves fossil combustion efficiency with co-invented cost effective combustion monitor. Reduces NOx, CO, LOI, opacity. haclift@yahoo.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back