Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Miniature Hour Meter

Status
Not open for further replies.

davekuch

Electrical
Apr 3, 2006
US
We have just released a new product that has a component on it that we expect will be consumable and burn out after a period of time. It's a nichrome wire that we are controlling by phase angle firing a 120VAC supply to it.

For warranty purposes, my sales department has asked me to find a miniature device that we could wire into the circuit to monitor how long the device has been run. Ideally, any device would be about the size of a thumb and be able to be wired in series with the nichrome wire.

Unlike most hourmeter applications, I don't care about digit size, being able to read in direct sunlight, etc. For this application, it's all about the size!

Thanks in advance.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I recall that there used to be a device about the size and shape of a 3AG fuse that plated the core to keep track of time. I haven't seen it for about 20 or 25 years. I'll see if I can find a reference...

These days, a tiny uC with non-volitile memory might be the cheapest solution. Obviously you'd monitor the control signal, not the AC.

That one cannot be wired in series with your load since it is DC operated and with a tiny current. You need to use a diode and a series resistor. Then it will work fine.

Gunnar Englund
--------------------------------------
100 % recycled posting: Electrons, ideas, finger-tips have been used over and over again...

Look for "micro-mercury coulombmeter" if they're still made.

Used to be popular monitoring the stylus life of phonograph turntables.

Typically used to read several thousand hours. They operate off of low voltage DC, so you'd wire it in parallel to your heating element, with an appropriate diode to convert to DC and circuit to limit the voltage to something like 5 volts, or whatever the MMCM wants.

Obviously, they have mercury in them, so may be on some banned list. Perhaps there's an equivalent made of some safer alloy.

L-3 makes some little sub-miniature ETMs that either mount to a surface and have a display, or they have PCB mount versions that store the data for reading by something with more intelligence. But as they are MIL-spec, expect that they are not cheap.

"If I had eight hours to chop down a tree, I'd spend six sharpening my axe." -- Abraham Lincoln
For the best use of Eng-Tips, please click here -> faq731-376

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back