Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Minimise product loss in filtration

Status
Not open for further replies.

acewolf187

Chemical
Sep 27, 2014
GB
Hi,

Can anyone help me with this problem:

Batch of liquid product in elevated tank needs to be filtered through plate and frame filter to barrels. Currently, gravity is used to drive the liquid through the filter but there's usually some left in the filter and pipework afterwards and I need to recover as mush as possible.
Flushing the line with water helps push some of the product out but after recovering about 10kg out of 50kg, the water dilutes the product and I have to stop.

So far, here's what I've come up with, what do you think:

- Blowing air through the filter inlet pipe
- Suction pump at filter outlet with tank open to atmosphere
- Suction pump at filter outlet with tank discharge valve shut (I'm not sure about this because pipeline wasn't designed for vacuum, will small vacuum (of about 0.5bar) help without doing damage?

I would like to hear all your ideas and experience in this area.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Isn't this just a piping and filter layout issue? Why can't you drain the clean side of the filter down if you want to squeeze every last drop out? It's rather difficult to advise further without some more details, but blowing and sucking anything out has a number of problems and is unlikely to drain your system completely.

for some more help you need to provide a layout sketch of you pipework and filter and/ or some photos

My motto: Learn something new every day

Also: There's usually a good reason why everyone does it that way

Air blows at the end of a filtration cycle are commonly included in plate and frame filters.

However given you are only using gravity to drive your filtration, do you really need a pressure filter? A vacuum filter would be cheaper, simpler, and may give higher liquor recovery.

As a chem eng/metallurgist the first part of any answer I give starts with "It Depends"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back