Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Minimum distance of pump mounting hole location from mounting pad edge for pump base

Status
Not open for further replies.

boofi

Mechanical
Apr 28, 2016
US
See the title. Is there any guidance around the minimum distance of the mounting hole location from the edge of the mounting pad? I looked through our company standards and API 610 but didn't see anything for hold down bolt location requirements. I'm mostly just curious.

Or does this come down to an engineering decision?

Thank you.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Not sure what you are asking and the distance will depend somewhat on the size of the bolt.

If you are asking how close to the edge of concrete pad: From a practical point of view, the clear distance for anchor bolts or anchor bolt sleeves to the edge of the concrete shall be a minimum of 100 mm. This clear distance is intended to prevent corrosion and to make sure that the anchor bolts are not in contact with the rebar cage.

Link

Sorry, I meant mounting the pump feet to the mounting pads/pedestal on the baseplate. See attached picture for clarification.

Untitled_h4oj8t.png

The manufacturer of the pump gave you the answer when they designed the pump feet. The entire surface of the pump foot needs to be supported on the pedestal surface. So, the hole can not be any closer to the edge of the pedestal than the hole is to the edge of the foot. That is the only limit I would use. You don't want any part of your pump foot hanging out beyond the edge of the mounting surface on the pedestal.

Johnny Pellin

Thank you JJPellin. Our pump is a really old casting. As far as I can tell the feet don't even look square with each other. What are the risks if the pump foot isn't fully seated on the mounting pad? Would that be a reduction in stiffness?

Inadequate stiffness reduces the ability of the pump to withstand pipe strain. Vibration could increase if the pump is not fully supported. This is the same problem we have seen if someone shims under a pump foot with a shim which is much smaller than the area of the foot. You might experience high vibration or difficulty maintaining good coupling alignment.

Johnny Pellin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back