Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Minimum material properties? structural steel Linear, NL analysis 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

S275

Structural
Mar 26, 2011
BH
Hi
What are the minimum required material properties to perform static structural steel linear and non-linear analysis?

I have used the data available in Ansys WB library for structural steel and just made some modifications on yielding strengths. I'm getting reasonable results when using NL material for Von-Mises stress, however, the results are non-realistic for Principal stresses and it might be due to material properties.

For Linear and NL static structural analysis to perform accurate, what material properties that must be defined? in addition to following properties:
E
Poisson's ratio
Bulk and shear modulus
Yield strength

My work is ultimately related to structural steel S275 and S355.

I have spent several days searching for clear answer but didn't find any. And I appreciate your help.

Regards

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

And of course there will be steel density 7850 kg/m^3.
Also, the analysis model is 3D.

you don't need density i think (except for self-weight, but that's usually not relevant).
for nonlinear you need the material stress-strain curve, constants for mohr-coulumb or something similar.
are you a student?

Hi loki3000
Thanks for the reply
I'm a structural engineer, and recently have learned Ansys WB which I'm looking forward to use it as extra verification whenever it's needed.

For NL, I found that ANSYS will accept a NL material if it has as minimum as Tangent modulus and yield strength.

Do you have a source where I can get what you mentioned here: "constants for mohr-coulumb or something similar"

As stated above, I'm mainly using S275 and S355 structural steel.
Regards

Good material data is hard to come by; your company will likely have to purchase it. Check with the ASM Alloy Center ( or the Aerospace Structural Metals Database ( if your company does not have it's own library of material data.

//signed//
Christopher K. Hubley
Mechanical Engineer
Sunpower Incorporated
Athens, Ohio

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back