Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Minimum stair width for industrial applications

Status
Not open for further replies.

atrizzy

Structural
Mar 30, 2017
CA
I'm trying to find a reference (Canadian) to reduce stair (and landing) width for industrial access structures to less than the 900mm commonly found in the building code.
Can anybody point me to something that I can hang my hat on?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Your best bet is to look at Article 3.3.1.14 and Section 3.4 of the building code. Based on the details of your situation, you may be able to massage the restrictions.

I'm not sure about Canada, but OSHA allows as little as 22".

Now, OSHA doesn't address whether this is 22" inside the handrails (which I'm guessing it is) or if the handrails can project in. The IBC allows projections into the space (approximately shoulder height is stair width), but OSHA is silent on how or where the width is measured. Because of course they are.

API 650 Welded Tanks for Oil Storage (2018)

Table 5.18—Requirements for Stairways;

2. The minimum width of the stairs shall be 710 mm (28 in.).

Tim was so learned that he could name a
horse in nine languages: so ignorant that he bought a cow to ride on.
(BENJAMIN FRANKLIN )

JLNJ (Structural) said:
Now, OSHA doesn't address whether this is 22" inside the handrails (which I'm guessing it is) or if the handrails can project in.

Like all things OSHA, why be clear when you can be vague?

OSHA 1910.25(c)(3) said:
Have a minimum width of 22 inches (56 cm) between vertical barriers

I think by strict definition, the "vertical barriers" would be the guardrail (unless one would count the stringer as a vertical barrier(?) but that seems to stretch the "vertical" part of that). Based on that argument, you could use channel stringers, put the guardrail system on the outside of the stinger, and as long as you have 22" between the vertical posts, you meet the specification.

As it stands, 22" is already VERY narrow, so I personally measure the distance b/w the handrails.

As for the OP, I'm not familiar enough with CSHA or the CBC to weigh in, unfortunately.

Please note that is a "v" (as in Violin) not a "y".

As mentioned, OSHA and NFPA-101 Life Safety Code differentiate between industrial egress stairs and industrial equipment access stairs. Egress stairs usually can't go below 36" width. equipment access stairs can go down to 22" width.

All I know is P/A and Mc/I

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back