Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MMPDS Room Temperature

Status
Not open for further replies.

AussieAero

Aerospace
Sep 6, 2003
AU
Anyone know, or have better eyes than I do, as to whether the MMPDS uses a standard value for room temperature?
- I can't find it defined anywhere in the opening chapters,
- nor is it defined per material,
- nor does it appear to be ISA value of 15°C (eg. Figure 3.2.4.0(a) showing temperature depended data for Al2024 seems to indicate a transition point at 90°F / 32°C, but doesn't specify it explicitly, while Figure 3.2.4.1.1(a) seems to indicate 80°F / 27°C).

It seems like a stupid question, but I can't for the life of me find a definition anywhere...
Would definitely appreciate anyone's insights.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

AAE... MMPDS Chapter 9 is very important and nerdy-technical. See Table 9.2.3 "Summary of Required Testing..."

Testing for all material values [mechanical, environmental, etc] is accomplished [mostly] per ASTM methods. I am dead certain... without looking... that ASTM has the definitions You are looking for.

NOTE. Values between 60-to-80F... which most of us in the US would use as 'typical RT rule-of-thumb'... are typically uniform/flat... with insignificant variations in metals for at least another +/-30F. probably more differences in the test equipment set-up and calibrations [for variations due to expansion/contraction/calibration of mechanical and electronic gages].

Regards, Wil Taylor
o Trust - But Verify!
o We believe to be true what we prefer to be true. [Unknown]
o For those who believe, no proof is required; for those who cannot believe, no proof is possible. [variation,Stuart Chase]
o Unfortunately, in science what You 'believe' is irrelevant. ["Orion", Homebuiltairplanes.com forum]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back