Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Mobile / Condensed Model

Status
Not open for further replies.

mjjmecheng

Mechanical
Feb 7, 2014
US
Good morning all!

Another engineer in my group has a license of BobCAD/CAM that he uses at home for his personal designs. The other day, he brought in a 'mobile' version of his design to show me what he had been working on. I say 'mobile' because instead of a huge zipped file with tens or hundreds of parts in an assembly, this was a simple .exe file that did not require any previously installed utility to open his assembly, hide/show components, and manipulate its position in 3D space. I'm familiar with the generic file types (.stp, .iges., .x_t, etc), but these aren't really what I'm looking for because they still require some application to open them. Instead, I'm interested in any possibilities for doing something similar, where I could send a file showing a 3D view of my assembly to a customer without actually sending them my assembly. Does Unigraphics/NX have an option for that? Is there a method to output a 3D PDF using Unigraphics (or Solidworks for that matter)?

I use NX 8.5 and Solidworks 2014.

Cheers!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

petulf said:
What you want is to export a monolithic JT file which can be viewed with the free JT2GO viewer.

This is definitely one approach, but it doesn't quite meet the requirements as I could do the same thing with a .stp file or similar. Instead, I'd like to see if there is a way of exporting an executable that is a standalone file which does not require any support application to open it.

Thanks for the input.

Our Viewer app WorkXplore,it has something like that, you can create a standalone exe than anyone can use to view the files and it does not take up a license.

Another option I like to use is Tetra 4D's 3D PDF Convertor [URL unfurl="true"]http://www.tetra4d.com/[/url]

It's a bit pricey for a license to convert to 3D pdf's, but it's a very useful tool. Once converted, ANYONE with adobe reader can open it, rotate, change views, turn on and off components, etc. It also works with more than just NX files (solidworks, pro/e, rhino, catia, etc).

Very useful for meetings or sending to customers without sending actual models.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back