Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Model a cylindrical peg

Status
Not open for further replies.

ConorWalsh

Mechanical
Jul 18, 2003
US
hello all,

I am currently trying to set up a contact model to model a cylindrical peg being inserted into a cylindrical hole in 3 dimensions and monitor the contact forces and moments on the peg based on various lateral and angular misalignments.

I am planning on modeling the peg and the hole as solid models and using the contact wizard for the conatct analysis. However the device that is holding the peg, a simple end-effector, is designed with a shell elements at the base and so the need to be able to model the solid to shell conection.

I see that shells have 6dof at each node, three translation and three rotation, and solids have only have three translation ,UX,UY,UZ and I am thinking that the loads will not be transferred correctly.

I have the endeffector platform as shell elements as I exploit the three rotational dof to make simple ball joints by releasing the degrees of freedom of the applicable nodes. I.e. free to rotate in RX,RY,RX and I have 6 beams connecting via these 'ball joints' to the base plate. The end-effector is similar to the stewart platform with a top and base plate and 6 legs (beam elements) connecting the two via ball joints.

I hope you can help
Thanks in advance

Conor

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

A good start is to state what program you are using; the correct answer to your question is often program-specific.

Brad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back