Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Model Editing by Spreadsheet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bambila

Mechanical
Nov 29, 2012
US
Hi,

I need help on managing the model using external spreadsheet.
I have linked all the Expression of the part to the external spreadsheet using the function ug_read_excel. Whenever I update the value of perticular expression in that spreadsheet, I need to do 'Refresh the value from external spreadshhet' in order to reflect the changes the I made in spreadsheet.
1) Is there any method like whenever I save the spreadshhet the model gets automatically updated?
2) Is there any method to update the model only having spreadsheet open?

Thanks

Bambila
Mechanical Engineer

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

That's the way it's designed to work. The idea was the a user should always have control when a part file is being forced to update, therefore the user should explicitly initiate that update.

Now you could write a journal/program which would be executed whenever a file is opened which would automatically force an update, but this would waste a lot of time and machine cycles if only a few files were linked to external spreadsheet or databases.

I'm not sure how much programming effort or creativity it would take to somehow determine if a currently open spreadsheet was linked to a particular part file or not. Not sure if this would help since performing an 'Update Part for External Change' will impact all part files open in the current session of NX.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Engineering Software
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

John,

I totally agree with you that user should always have control when a part file is being forced to update, but what I am trying to know is whenever I click the save button in spreadsheet the model should update so that I have control on model through spreadsheet. I am just trying to avoid one more step like go into the UG Expression and click refresh.

Thanks for your reply

Bambila
Mechanical Engineer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back