Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Modeling a Container

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 16, 2012
SG
Hi All,

I am modeling a container with 4 legged slings. Criteria is as per DNV 2.7-1. But when I run the analysis, the model is not converging. Please see attached load cases. All the 4 lifting slings has been modeled as tension only members, and spring supports on the 4 bottom corners in the X and Y directions.

The model solves when I make one of the sling as a two way member (tension and compression), and also when I make one of the four bottom corners to a pinned support. But I believe the model should be with all slings as tension only members and the model should not be pinned in any of the bottom corners.

Can someone please advise what is the correct way in getting a solution to the model? Thanks in advance.

Regards,

SubseaOcean

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You can simplify your model by setting some restrictions to the rotation of the container box (you seem be doing so through springs).

First one would assume the 4 slings don't converge at a point, if doing so, you should restrict rotation on the vertical axis.

It may also help accepting bigger tolerance for the convergence in the solution.

You may also post the model in the program you use to see if someone is able to correct it for solution.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back