Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Modeling Helical and Bevel Gear Teeth- NX 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

smwdrum

Aerospace
Feb 2, 2015
US
I am having trouble modeling gear teeth in NX. Spend many hours yesterday trying to get it to work. I have a .grip program but when I use the 3-D function it gives me hollow teeth that are not a solid body? you also cannot edge break the teeth then.

I also tried putting them in using the profile option of the grip program and then using a sweep function to cut it out. The issue is it does not keep a consistent tooth form across the face width. It gets narrow as it goes. Is there any easy way to do this for helical and bevel teeth? Geometry does not need to be 100% accurate just need to to visual look right for operation sketches sin a manufacturing process.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

SDETERS - Do you have a file like that for Helical teeth, I have no problem drawing Spur teeth its Helical and Bevel that I can't figure out.

The helical gear is just a simple sweep of the gear teeth along a spline. Just make sure you use the Vector option Under your Orientation option and preserve shape. I have a Bevel Gear but it is a straight bevel gear without any crowning per the Agma Gear standards.

The Grabcad link I posted earlier gives these results:

gear_set_i2tjkv.jpg

NX part files attached.

Modern gears have lead and profile modifications. In other words, the tooth surface modeled as discussed above is modified a special way to allow the gears to operate correctly. Get a special 3d gear modeling software - it is easy to find.

Didier :
Cool!

Smwdrum :
This is a repeat of my post above:

"I did a quick search on the GC toolkit
and , from this thread :
PhoeNX (Mechanical)28 Jan 15 00:36
From NX9, you would need NX30624 (NX Greater China Toolkit) added to your license to be able to use it now.
You would have to get access to the source code for the libgctool.dll that is used, or write code from scratch.

( This means you must have that license key to run it.)

and , from this thread : A guy called "Toost" wrote : ( smile )

Toost (Mechanical)22 Apr 14 12:06
1) Read Johns posts above.
2) set UGII_COUNTRY = PRC in the Windows control panel.

So, if you run a NX version older than NX9
then set the windws variable UGII_COUNTRY = PRC
and you should be on your way.
"

Edit
Anything older than NX9 means that NX 8.5 should work as well.

Regards,
Tomas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back