Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Modeling timing belts

Status
Not open for further replies.

libanais

Mechanical
Jul 15, 2004
CA
Hey guys

the problem is that the pattern feature doesnt seem to be able to follow the profile of the belt..
This is how i start my model
1-(using protrusion)draw a sketch(side profile of the belt)and a make an offset(thikness of the belt)

2-draw a cutout that represents one tooth of the timing belt

3-TRY to use pattern but cant seem to copy my tooth cutout along the curve of the belt.

ANY suggestion would be greatly appreciated!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Is the curve made of straights and arcs or is it a spline?
If it's straights and arcs you may have to use a mixture of several linear and radial patterns to do the whole belt.
My other question is why do the whole belt? - just do a few cutouts to represent the belt in drawings as you would have done in the old days on a drawing board.
You could do this in one go with your sketch, and it will keep yor file size and drawing complexity down.

Hi

Have you tried changing the location of Anchor Point? Its location should be where the intial cut-out is.

Regards
fwc

In SE v16, use Pattern Along a Curve and set the Ribbon Bar options Transformation Type to Full and Rotation Type to Curve Position.

To make it even easier, I create a sketch as my driving curve for my Select Curve Step.

Regards,

Kevin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back