Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Modelling Lamb waves using shell elements in Abaqus/explicit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Siavash Shoja

Mechanical
Feb 27, 2017
SE
Hi,
I am modelling Lamb waves propagation in a laminate structure. The excitation force is a tone-burst signal in out of plane direction which creates mostly bending modes. In order to take into account the bending modes, I used S4RS element which uses mindlin-reissner theory for transverse shear stress. I also used the composite layups to build up my material which is a laminate with [0,90,90,0] fibre directions. In addition for my shell section I use section integration before analysis with idealization "Smear all layers".
I compared the results with a solid model and they seem in a good agreement however in the shell model I get some sort of numerical problem in one of the wave modes (attached picture). Seems this problem is directly related to the element type cause when I change the elements to S4R I don't get it however the results are not correct cause S4R doesn't use mindlin-reissner theory.

Anyone has experienced this before? Or do you know how can I get rid of it?

/Siavash

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=fdb2e5f0-0af8-443e-849f-28d2fe56c058&file=Untitled.png
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back