Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Modifying standard drawing sheets

Status
Not open for further replies.

Prospero999

Dec 20, 2009
GB
Hi all,

Yet more questions, but I am certainly getting there with your help. SE is quite different from MDT.

1) How do I go about creating a drawing template file? At the moment I'm using the standard ISO draft template. In particular, how do I specify that a dimension's 'lead lines' DO NOT touch the part - i.e. there's got to be a small gap between the part and the lead lines.

2) If I use the standard ISO draft template, can I / how do I change the field where it says, "SOLID EDGE / UGS - The PLM Company"?

Many thanks for your continued help guys!

Anthony

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The template file is just a draft file supplied by Solid Edge.
You can delete the graphics from the background sheet and just draw your own. You would then save this either as a new name, or overwrite the old one. You can put a new one in the same folder as the old one, or in a new folder on the network so all users can use it.

To change the standard settings for ISO etc - in your draft file template on the View tab > Styles group click the styles icon (2 little A's - there obiously wasn't room on this tab to put any text!!!!) Then in the style-type box select Dimension and then in the styles box select ISO.
You can now modify the settings for that style.

bc.
2.4GHz Core2 Quad, 4GB RAM,
Quadro FX4600.

Where would we be without sat-nav?

I have a solidedge question, and I will risk posting it on this thread rather than starting a new one.

When I'm working in a drawing, is there any way to add text to the background sheet that will show up automatically on EVERY sheet in the drawing (similar to header/footer in MSword)? Or, do I have to go in an manually add the text to each sheet one by one?

If you add text or graphics elements on the background sheet, it will appear on all sheets.

I suggest using the Callout tool instead of the Text tool (you can toggle the leader off). That way you get access to the Property Text variables, like Sheet Number, Number of Sheets, File name, or any custom property you've added.

Also, the Line Up Text tool works with callouts, not text boxes.

Gemnoc,
Is that true of V18? Sad, I know, but at least now you know that US Govt employees don't get the latest, greatest, most expensive software...
Anyways, I added the text to the background sheet and it only shows up on the sheet I made the change on, not all of them.

You can have different backgrounds for each sheet if you really want to.

bc.
Quadro FX4600.

I use the parts list feature to call out my material type, thickness and quantity. simple one click. Now I'm 99% sheetmetal with single parts per sheet page. I've got the location perfect using auto locate, I can set the height of the box but not the text seperately. Is there anyway to enlarge the text within the current box size ?

Not sure what you mean here.
You can set text font and size etc. on the parts list properties dialog.

bc.
Quadro FX4600.

In all versions up to and including ST1 you set the text properties by RMB on the parts list then Properties.
The text settings for font and size are on the General tab.
Has it changed in ST2?
As far as I am aware the column size has nothing to do with text size. A narrower column or lager text size will just force more lines in the text.

bc.
Quadro FX4600.

Yes it has changed with ST2 now you have a different font style for the text in the bom. You can find it in the format menu.

If you need more details just let me know.

Patrick

Thanks Patrick - that's one to look for when we eventually go to ST2.

bc.
Quadro FX4600.

Yes I had to reformat my part list in my draft templates because of that. But there is no problem when opening old draft, Solid edge convert them easily.

Patrick

I understand the text sizing, problem is the "box" has some sort of realtionship with the text sizing. I'm tryin to keep my box size and just enlarge the text. Dont think it's possible. My box size is only a single row every time and I'm trying to keep it lined up with the rest of my backround sheet.

In ST1 there is a setting for Text Margin on the parts list Properties > Size/Placement tab.
Column widths are set on the Columns tab and always stay that width.
Are you saying that the column width changes to keep the text as a single line?

bc.
Quadro FX4600.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back