Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MOLDWIZARD NX6 - cannot set tap drill dia on auto screw

Status
Not open for further replies.

UNIFORMSRL

Mechanical
Mar 19, 2009
IT
Hello everybody! For CAM reasons, I am trying to adapt the tap_drill_dia parameter of auto screws to our bore standards.
I am not able to change it though: everytime I change the parameter (for example, from the standard part window) it seems to adapt itself to the thd_metric.dat value... Even if I have changed that table!

Have you got any hint about it?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I have customized the DME manual shcs component so that I can swich it from inch to a metric screw within the same part (useful for screws in default assemblies when some customers require metric, and some inch screws).

Anyway, I have attached the xls file driving the screw component. You can see the tap drill is pulled from VAR part (under your TOP assembly) by default, and I entered it mannually for the metric sizes.

NX 7.5.0.32 MoldWizard

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=e214a77d-3b66-4fb8-b848-d501fbb209a3&file=tap_drill.PNG
Thank you very much,

I have noticed before that the tap_drill_dia was pulled from the var file. That's why I have customized the var file (see picture attached). Still, I cannot keep the change I have done. For example, if within the var file I have a value of 10.2 for the M12 screw, the value on the screw is always 10.5792. I do not understand where this value comes from.

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=6cf7c4b6-7671-43bb-b77d-e4034ff946ec&file=screw.png
Have you checked the xls data file driving the component? It may be like mine, as I show some screw sizes referencing the var file and some (the metric sizes) being hard coded. I did that because we use inch drills instead of metric, and it was an easier mod than trying to figure out the var and dat files.

NX 7.5.0.32 MoldWizard

I see. There are some knowledge fusion references there that I havent seen before, so this may be more involved than I'm familiar with.

Just to clarify, there is an expressoin TAP_DRILL_DIA in the screw component, and it does NOT match
a) the driving xls file (M12=10.2 in your picture),
b) the VAR file (M12=10.2 in your picture), or
c) the thd_metric.dat file (M12=?)

Is that correct? What value are you getting?

NX 7.5.0.32 MoldWizard

Hello again! It does not match anyone of them. The value I need is 10.2, the value I get is 10.5792. Take into consideration that I have customized a), b) and c). So there must be another place it takes that value from!

OK, I found out!!!

Standard threads for Moldwizard screws are place under the library of moldwizard, in the "templates" folder. It is an excel file named thread_standard_dat.xls

Thank you very much for your help, in any case!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back