Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Monel Casting ASTM A494-M-35-2 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

skasliwal

Mechanical
Apr 1, 2005
US
I was wondering if anyone has any experience using ASTM A494-M-35-2 casting in a ASME section VIII Div 1 application. where can I find the allowable stresses at different temperatures? Do I need to get it dual certified to a diffrent spec since its not listed in 2-D?

Any help is appretiated.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I believe this material has has been approved for use only under ASME B&PV code case 1750-20. This code case is for use of this material and others listed as material for valve bodies, bonnets, yolks, housings and holders of pressure relief devices. Reference is made to ASME B16.5, Class 600 temperature and pressure ratings. There are no allowble stress values for this specific application.

Thanks Metengr for your post. This is exactly what I was looking for. I amooking to design a bonnet for my unit and I believe aforementioned codecase will make the use of ASTM A494-M-35-2 casting suitable for this application.

I couldn't find the 1750-20 code case in my department liabrary but I did find 1750-13(1998) which had a similar listing referring to B16.5 class 600 material group 3.2 pressure temperature rating. In my personnel opinion material group 3.4 has closer resemblance to ASTM A494-M-35-2 casting than group 3.2. I dont know if the latest codecase 1750-20 refers to the material group 3.2 or 3.4.

Anyways I have a copy of new code-cases on order to review 1750-20 myself. thanks again for your help.

Beware of Monel casting deoxidation practices, especially considering current global sourcing. You may end up with a casting that cannot be weld repaired due to formation of low melting eutectics along the grain boundaries.

Anecdotally, I've learned that chlorine liberated from high temperature steam can corrode monel. I think there are special formulations of the alloy for such applications. Not sure if it applies to your situation, but it's worth considering.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back