Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Motor contactor wiring check 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

MScarn

Mechanical
May 5, 2021
US
I am currently in the middle of learning electrical circuits for a project so go easy on me. I am wanting to make sure how I have our motor contactor laid out is correct and safe. If not, where can I improve?

Top L is incoming supply, 220V single phase that routes through a circuit breaker.

Circuit will have a STOP, START, and an Indicator Lamp.

Bottom R is outgoing voltage to a Servo motor drive with fusing before the drive.

CB and Fuse locations are specified in the servo drive manual.

No wire numbers yet, just indicating colors; Black (L1), White (Neutral)

https://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=d57dbd32-a415-4b0f-82c1-65707f53862e&file=Servo_contactor_question.JPG
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

@Jraef, I see now, the black wire should be on the other side of the power on button correct? Front side would bypass the button (like I had it).

There are now a number of conflicting diagrams.
The wire to the auxiliary contacts should come from the jumper between the stop and the start buttons.
Good catch on the pilot light.Jeff. The pilot light wire should be from the other side of the start button.
With the original wiring the pilot light would indicate "Mains Present" NOT "Drive Power Energized".

Bill
--------------------
Ohm's law
Not just a good idea;
It's the LAW!

Yes you would need to add a auxiliary contact if it was 3 phases.
I guess the start button is resilient and that you are going to use the emergency stop as a stop button too?

In the last example, one problem I have is that the you have constant power on T3.
Usually both for safety reasons and when measuring when looking for faults you expect all incoming power feeds to be on the same side of a contactor or relay.
L1, L2, L3 or T1, T2 ,T3 in your example it is L1, L2, T3.

image_n4jquz.png

In the picture above.
The black part to T3 and the black part to the lamp, should be connected on the left side of the start button.
And the part between A1 and L3 must go away.
And then you have to have a part from the left side of the emergency button to L3 instead.

I am a bit [sleeping] so if I am wrong I am sure someone will correct me.

BR A

“Logic will get you from A to Z; imagination will get you everywhere.“
Albert Einstein

Try and get some sleep, my friend.
Only the lamp wire needs to be moved to the left of the start button.
No other changes, except.
Optionally the connections to L3 and T3 may be interchanged. The circuit will work the same but that will agree with the convention that constant power is on the top and switched power is on the bottom.

Bill
--------------------
Ohm's law
Not just a good idea;
It's the LAW!

Maybe I am too much of an esthete. ;-)

I still think this would be a "nice" solution.
Or am I still to [sleeping] [ponder]

image_jpam3p.png

Best Regards A

Albert Einstein

Since I like coloring. :) Red Hot, Blue Neutral

Power contactor off: coil deenergized > lamp off
image_twoq6x.png

Start button pushed > coil energized > contactor pulled > lamp on

image_k4w4nm.png

Power contactor on: Start button released > coil energized over L3-T3 > contactor pulled > lamp on
image_cofxyj.png

Power contactor off: Energency button pushed > coil deenergized > contactor fallen > lamp off
image_wbpidx.png

Best Regards A

Albert Einstein

That will work, but I have a small critique.
The connection from the start button to T3 should go from T3 to A1.
Electrically equivalent.
BUT:
The length of wire; T3 to A1 is a few inches. Start to T3 may be a couple of inches or it may be considerably longer.
When I taught a hands on course on industrial controls to industrial electricians, part of the course was an awareness of how a seemingly insignificant change in the wiring diagram could affect the amount of wire needed. Consider a conveyor with a stop-start station at each end. Do you want to run three wires for the length of the conveyor or run four wires?
The other issue is terminal points. we try to run from terminal to terminal and avoid splicing of more than two wires.
The terminals on most control devices will accommodate two wires.
The pilot light is normally located with the push buttons. It is normally the second wire connected to the left side of the start button.
With the T3 wire connected to A1, no three way splices are needed and no terminal has more than two wires.
PS: I like the way that you have interchanged L3 and T3.
Bill
--------------------
Ohm's law
Not just a good idea;
It's the LAW!

The visual is much appreciated RedSnake, really helps.

Waross, I see your point about the using the wire runs efficiently, and avoiding the 3 wire junction. T3>A1 solves both.

waross I am not sure if you are addressing me or witch "drawing you are referring to.

Best Regards A

Albert Einstein

Hi Anna. The last set of drawings showing a tee splice to feed the pilot light.

Bill
--------------------
Ohm's law
Not just a good idea;
It's the LAW!

Okey :) Just me being lacy not drawing properly.

You mean you prefer it like this. ;-)

image_pihasq.png

Or maybe even like this :)

image_isawbr.png

Or maybe this is better [ponder]

image_yi0ftp.png

/A

Yes. The last circuit captures my intent.
When I was heavily involved in both teaching and on the job control circuits, all of the major North American control manufacturers published booklets of standard motor control diagrams.
I tried always to base my circuits on standard circuits.
This had an advantage of making trouble shooting much easier for less experienced electricians.
I remember working on a printing press with both AC and DC motors some of which were reversing.
It took a while.
The drawings were in a non standard (By North American usage) format, and...
The prints were in Italian.
It was a long afternoon.
My boss had started on the press.
He was an excellent trouble shooter.
When he called me for help I knew it was going to interesting and challenging.

Bill
--------------------
Ohm's law
Not just a good idea;
It's the LAW!

Well I have been trouble shooting in an korean nut checker machine only korean in the drawings found two faults.

We also have an Italien Press where someone hade managed to reorganize the ElCad project, so all the contacts for contactors and relays hade been moved around in number order.
Witch meant that there it should have been a NO it could be a NC.
Looking in the drawing i was not possible to reset the emergency stopp. [lol]
It took years to fix the drawing so it became as it should and it was in Italian, Frizioni Motori :)

/A

Albert Einstein

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back