Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Motor testing / repair

Status
Not open for further replies.

ahills

Electrical
Dec 15, 2003
GB
I have a new job coming up as repair engineer for electric motors. Unfortunately I have out of the field for a number of years and need a quick guide as to testing/maintenance and repair. I have lost all my previous notes and need memory joggers badly! Hope someone can help.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Thankyou, I'll check that site out. The motors will be pretty much all encompassing - both AC and DC, servo, brushless systems, pm, switched reluctance etc. I am really after a general guide as to where to concentrate fault-finding, rather than step by step techniques. Thanks again

Hllo ahills

All of the above posts suggesting different Web sights will help you to jog your memory.
EASA as suggested by UKpete,has everything that you need to know for your motor testing/repair/maintain.
For starters you need a 1000V/5000V Megger,a Multimeter and an Current meter(Amprobe).
Measure Ground wall insulation,turn to turn shorts,balanced phase currents and verify that motor is mechanically sound (bearings).This will get you by, until
you absorb all the info provided by the good Web sights.

Good luck.Be safe

GusD

I have a copy of the Rosenburg/Hand book mentioned in jbartos' link, it is expensive but I can recommend it. There is a lot of practical knowledge on fault-finding and repair of many types of motor, although it doesn't cover the large bar-wound type machines and it is a little bit dated.

I also have a copy of Augie Hand's later book "Electric Motor Maintenance and Troubleshooting", it is more up to date but I was a little disappointed with it, for it's price it isn't what I would call comprehensive.

I am sure there are other repair books around. I have an old copy of "Rewinding and Repair of Electric Motors" by Karl Wilkinson, published in the UK, old-fashioned and out of print but it's a gem. It shows all the old tricks of the trade, how to make the jigs and tooling etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back