Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Motorcycle Carburation

Status
Not open for further replies.

jvpjr

Mechanical
Dec 19, 2001
US
I've got a Suzuki 2001 Bandit 1200S. I recently had the valves adjusted and had some carb work done. After I got the bike back, I noticed the idle was high and I was getting some moderate huffing out of the pipe as RPMs come down. Also, I smell gas in front of the carbs when I shut off the engine, and there's a slightly burning smell coming out of the pipe when the motor is running.
My question: Is the bike running too rich? If so, how can I fix this quickly???

thanks
jvpjr

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

jvpjr----

This is only a guess, but it is based on experience with DOHC engines.

If all you had done was tune up and valve lash, there is a distinct possibility that the camshafts, one or both were installed one tooth off. This will cause the problems you mention along with poor power output. It can be catastrophic to valves and pistons if they come in contact with one another or if the in. and ex. valves touch at overlap. IF THERE IS EVEN THE REMOTEST POSSIBILITY THAT THIS IS THE PROBLEM, HAVE IT CHECKED AND CORRECTED IMMEDIATLLY!!!!!!!It is an engine killer, one tooth can exceed 14 degrees!!!!
That's the worse-case-senario and may not be the case. It is also possible the carbs are just adjusted wrong and/or the valve lash was done incorrectly, ie, lash on intake valve(s) too tight. Either way you need to have the shop that worked on your engine take a look, assuming they are a reputable shop.

Rod

Rod,

thanks for the information a while back.

i checked into the Cam idea, and it turns out that the shop didn't have to unmount the cams to adjust them, so that at least is okay. regarding the rich running, i'm sure it's just a carb adjustment thing that I can take care of when it warms up. in the spring, i'm putting on an exhaust system and a K&N jet kit, anyway, so I'm not too worried about it right now.

john p.

I know this reply is a long time after this query was posted but I have only just joined the forum. In my experience Bandits are carburettor fuel height critical and sometimes respond well to lowering the fuel height 0.5/1mm

Sean

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back