Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

moving a sketch along the z axis

Status
Not open for further replies.

aliasuser

Automotive
Feb 25, 2004
AU
I'm a new user to solidworks. I'm trying to move a sketch along the z axis, which I can't do. For example, when I use the convert entities button for a circle on a trimmed surface, the new circle is placed where the original surface was before it was trimmed. I need to know how to move this component back along the z axis and control it's position exactly. Any help would be appreciated.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If you are a new user of SolidWorks I suggest you first read the manual &/or run through the tutorials. Either will give you a much better understanding of SW.

To answer your question, place a plane at the position you want the sketch to be, then create the sketch on that plane.

[cheers] from (the City of) Barrie, Ontario.

[lol] OK, so….what's the speed of dark? [lol]
faq559-863

Thanks for the solution.
I've been through the tutorials a couple of times, but I still couldn't find a solution. I guess it's getting out of the mindset of using Alias, which is set up very differently to Solidworks (eg: x-form uses left, middle and right mouse buttons for movement, rotation etc. along x,y,z).
Thanks again.

If you are working in a 2D sketch, all "converted entities" are projected onto the sketch plane. To move sketch entities in a direction normal to the sketch, you would need to move the entire sketch plane, which would take the entire sketch with it.

[bat]There are two types of people in the world: the kind that believe that people can be categorized into one of two groups and the kind that don't.[bat]

I'm working in 3-D, modelling a digital camera. I used convert entity for the circular lens after I cut the hole for it, and needed to move the circle back out along z to extrude it from that new point. I tried to make a plane in the area and the face I needed to model it on, but so far can't get it to work.

"...needed to move the circle back out along z to extrude it from that new point..."

I don't completely understand what you're after but couldn't you extrude the circle to end where you want it to and then create a new sketch at the "starting" plane of the cylinder and extrude/cut away the first section that you don't want?

Sort of like:
A B
|-------------| Extrude from A to Be
C D
\------\ Then cut from C to D

Leaving D-B as what you originally wanted. Of course just going from D to B in one step would be easier (and I don't understand why you can't do that directly).

How about creating a plane in the location that you want your circle, and placing a 2-D sketch on that plane?

[bat]There are two types of people in the world: the kind that believe that people can be categorized into one of two groups and the kind that don't.[bat]

I'll try and explain a bit better. Im trying to move a converted entity closer to the camera body, (a spline which was originally a circle projected onto a curved surface as a split line) along the z axis. As the spline sits, it is too far from the camera body and so the extrusion will be too long. I cannot attach a dimension from the spline to the camera body on the z axis, so cannot bring it closer.
The converted entity is created in the same position as the original circle I used to project onto the curved surface and as a result is too far from the body of the camera. All I need to do with it is bring it closer to the body, so my extrusion will be the desired length.
Hope this helps

I see.

Time for guerilla tactics. I have been cornered into doing this in both Pro/E and SW, so it's not just a SW shortcoming...

3D curves can't be transposed, but surfaces can. Make a surface that uses the curve (sweep works well for this) and then copy the surface to the new desired location. You can then use the surface edge for reference.

One more thing to be careful/clear about if you are new to SW. Are you working in an Assembly file, a Part file or Editing a Part file in the context of an Assembly? Major differences in was these mean and what you will get for results - not only in the models but in file relationships.

It sounds like you may be trying to create parts inside the assembly - you need to look this up and make sure you do it right, because it is a much more complex than just achieving the geometry you need. SW has some great tools for this kind of thing, but you have to careful to use them appropriately or it can get you in a bind depending on what your specific overall requirements are.

John Richards Sr. Mech. Engr.
Rockwell Collins Flight Dynamics

There are only 10 types of people in the world - those who understand binary and those who don't.

I'm working in a part drawing, my problem was in moving and extruding a spline derived from a surface with compound curvature. I've sorted the problem by creating a circle on a new front plane and extruding and trimming that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back