Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Moving load

Status
Not open for further replies.

osama91

Civil/Environmental
Jul 27, 2013
BH
Hello everyone,

I trying to simulate a train moving on a piece of land (soil) using Ansys 12.

Can I insert a moving load (distributed load) which represents the load coming from the train. If yes, how?

Thanks,

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

why does it need to a moving load? why not do it as a series of individual load cases? it will be more efficient than using a transient solver

So, do you mean that this can be achieved using the transient solver. Because I think it will be more accurate. In this way we will be able to see as much solutions as possible and we can see how the stresses are changing smoothly. This is my opinion.

Bro, Is there any way we can define the location of the start and end of a distributed load using a coordinate system.

Thanks,

i'm sure it is possible, but it is not how i would do it. transient is for time varying.... are inertia and dynamic effects significant? if all you have is a moving load then i would do at as multiple individual load cases with the coordinate of the applied load changed in each case. these could be a static analysis and so an order of magnitude faster if not more over a long duration transient.

also the load from a train is a series of point loads at each wheel not a distributed load.

- So, do you mean that ansys does not handle moving loads problems ?

- I think that the dynamic and inertial forces have to be considered, because not only we want to study the effect of a static train loads on a land, we also need to study the soil (land) condition when a train is stopping or accelerating.

Does it matter ?

- Brother inline6,

I have posted earlier through the last two weeks some questions, I do not know whether you have seen them or not.
Can you have a look on them and tell me whether you know any idea about them.

- One last question bro:

imagine we have extracted a cubic piece of land (Soil) from a land, the top surface of this piece is atmospheric and the other 5 surfaces (sides) are contacted with other soil surfaces which belongs to the original land.
What type of support do you think we should assign for these 5 surfaces?

you might be able use remote force in workbench and assign a parameter to the coordinate of the load and set it up to vary the parameter to find worst case for stress, load etc

you can consider the dynamic and inertia forces statically using a dynamic factor as appropriate

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back