Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MRP BOM vs Assembly drawing BOM

Status
Not open for further replies.

James7443

Mechanical
Jul 11, 2014
US
Is these any ASME standard that indicates whether or not the assembly drawing BOM (parts list) needs to exactly match a MRP generated BOM?

My question revolves around items such as shipping materials (preformed foam blocks, manuals, crates, etc..). The assembly drawing lists all of the parts required to build the product including things like grease, thread lock, epoxy, et.. and place the finished item in inventory. However the MRP system adds a few things, that have cost, like shipping material, manuals, etc.. when the shipping department packages the product for delivery.

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I don't know if there is a standard for matching the MRP, but I've seen this in old documents at the company I work at. The company had a finished assembly and a packaged assembly. The packaged assembly would have the finished product and miscellaneous items like the manual, power cords, etc. This was no way maintained once I started working at the company. From the CEO, himself, said that it'll all be captured in the company's overhead. I don't know what the hell that means besides the cost isn't tracked in BOMs for those miscellaneous items. It's more than likely tracked through some sort of cash flow excel sheet by the CEO, but I have no idea.

Don't take my word for anything. My company is small, and it is still learning how to be a company. I'm also relatively new in my field.

We add packaging to the top of the MRP BoM above the actual product general assembly.

----------------------------------------

The Help for this program was created in Windows Help format, which depends on a feature that isn't included in this version of Windows.

James7443,

I don't know about the rules. I have strong opinions about your requirements and resources.

On your assembly drawing, the item balloons must use the same item numbers as the BOM. My CAD software is SolidWorks. I see no efficient way to coordinate item numbers between an MRP BOM and a SolidWorks assembly. SolidWorks generates its BOMs off the assembly drawing. The item numbers all are generated in the same place. I assume the other CAD packages are similar.

I have not seen anybody automatically populate MRP straight out of SolidWorks BOMs. This should not be difficult for professionals who respect and communicate with each other. The SolidWorks and the MRP BOMs have to be in the same format. MRP is run by your accounting department. Probably, they fear that the engineering BOMs will not be letter perfect, but with SolidWorks, they will be!

Your final assembly step is on your loading dock, where they assemble a shipping crate with packing and your product. Your product can be a sub-assembly of this, allowing SolidWorks complete control of the assembly documentation, and MRP control over the crate. It is possible for SolidWorks to model your shipping crate. Getting production to agree to it can be a challenge.

--
JHG

Don't know about ASME, but according to ISO 9001 you are supposed to have ONLY ONE BOM.

Your MRP BOM is your primary design document, while whatever you have on the face of your drawing is merely a cross-reference for your "find numbers"

That's the only arrangement that makes sense and allows you to keep your sanity.

"For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert"
Arthur C. Clarke Profiles of the future

Hi, James7443:

I think you made an assumption that they need to be same.

"MRP BOM" and "Assembly drawing BOM" are for two different items (or things as a layman term).

For example, "MRP BOM" is for part no. ABC while "Assembly drawing BOM" is for part no. 123.

You can't make part no. ABC same as part no. 123.

I hope this makes sense to you.

Best regards,

Alex

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back