Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MSS SP-75 sect 14.4.4 butt-welds

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 22, 2015
US
14.4.4 of MSS SP-75 2014 wants sub arc welds with one pass from inside unless it's inaccessible "then, a manual or machine root bead may be employed..."
Does that language exclude semi-automatic processes (eg GMAW and FCAW) for the single sided root bead?

Secondary to that question, I don't see why GMAW/FCAW would not be permitted for a shop-built fitting. Are people actually doing all of their root welds with SMAW or GTAW still? How do you get any productivity from a shop running like this?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Does that language exclude semi-automatic processes (eg GMAW and FCAW) for the single sided root bead?

Yes it does. However, I have seen fittings manufactured to this spec that I am certain are GMAW welds. Keep in mind, when you take the torch or welding gun out of the welder's hand and put it on a machine controlled arm, it is then considered a machine welding process.

Are people actually doing all of their root welds with SMAW or GTAW still?

I have seen roots done with GTAW, but not done manually. They are also set up on machine controlled equipment, so a machine welding process.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back