Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MULTIPLE BODIES IN PART

Status
Not open for further replies.

thecadman3

Aerospace
Apr 11, 2010
GB
Hi,

I am modeling some off the shelf items that consists of seperate parts to make an assembly.

I can model all items and bring together in an assembly fine, but I would like to know if I can model all the components in 1 part? In Catia you can create multiple bodies in a part (not assy) and assign different attributes to each body. This would keep my filing sytem a lot cleaner!

Hope that was clear!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You can make parts with multiple bodies. When you create a feature, unselect []merge feature.
You can also cut a body up afterwards.
You can take an assembly and save it as a part, but it comes out all surfaces, I think.
You can join parts in an assembly into a single part, too.

--
Hardie "Crashj" Johnson
SW 2010 SP 2.1
HP Pavillion Elite HPE

Using multibody I notice you can apply mates. I looked at the help but it only talks about applying mates whan inserting new bodies. May sound a daft question as I cant see how it could do this, but can you apply mates to move parts after inserted? I have a hinge witin my part!

Just to clarify what SnowCrash wrote:

"You can take an assembly and save it as a part, but it comes out all surfaces, I think. "

Actually, when saving an assembly to part you have options to save all components (solid bodies), all exterior components (solid bodies again), or all exterior faces (surface bodies).

I use these all the time for bought out parts. You can in most cases download .stp files from the manufacturer, open them as an assembly in SW, and then save it out as a part with the component reference code as the part number.

Then when you do a bill of materials on a drawing, the part number relates directly to the manufacturers specification, and there is no messing about with sub assembly items of something you're not really responsible for.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back