Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Multiple machine vibrations

Status
Not open for further replies.

maiorano

Structural
Jun 10, 2003
US
I am looking for a good 'practical' book/guide to design floor framing for multiple machine vibrations. Presently we analyze the local effects on the supporting members comparing operating frequencies with the member natural frequency. we also will compare the overall bay's natural frequency with only a single machine running. Should we also take into effect more than one machine?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hello,

I'm far to be a spesialist in structure, but my guess is that you should test the structure for the machine with the lowest frequency in order to prevent any resonance and eventually, have the possibility to isolate vibration from the machines. To isolate vibration properly, the vibration isolator's natural frequency must be at least 3 times lower than the exciting frequency. Hence, the structure must have an even lower natural frequency or you'll get resonance problem.

Just to be on the sure side, I'll test as well with all the machines together in order to know the maximum amplitude. Machines' main frequency and harmonics migth interreact between each other.

Hope this will help,

OkdB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back