Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

My drafter becomes my chief 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

abbver98

Mechanical
Jun 21, 2002
BE

I teach my drafter for about 10 years. Last two years a new position to mange all the site was opened but I didn't apply because the requirements were so high. A chief was hired and I noticed he doesn't meet all what was asked for. In addition he has enough experience in management. I passed one year and half in hell. I'm 23 years experience and all time I was struggling with him to accept what was commonly understood and agreed by colleagues and TPI. My drafter, he becomes 4 years ago Drafing manager in the same position as me, has a close relation with this chief. The two has a good reputation in the company.
The chief left the company and we were informed that the position will be occupied very soon. To my astonishment they annouce that the new chief will be the Drafing manager. This man has no graduate but hard working (he works even by night at home) and he get this position due to this (according to the annoucement). I'm about 50 years and he's 40's. I'm wondering if I continue or stop my collaboration.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Just to correct :

"In addition he has not enough experience in management."
"The two have had a good reputation in the company."

Your resentment is showing.

I was going to advise you to deal with it or conceal it, but I'm not convinced that either would make a difference.

Here in the USA, whatever career you have in engineering as an employee is over at age 50 or so. Age discrimination is illegal, and the penalties are substantial, so companies will put considerable resources into proving that you are being let go for some other, legally defensible reason. ... but you _will_ be let go.

Maybe that does't happen where you are.

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

Proof that you can have up to 30 years experience in the engineering field, but anything over that is lethal to your future.

Mike McCann
MMC Engineering

It seems that the way is done, it's legal, I contacted a jurist. I asked to be fired but they don't accept because there is a substantial fee to pay (I'm in Europe). They want that I'll go my ownself.

msquared48,

I see that a managment position are more and more wanted even without any technical background. I'm wondering when I was all this time. I mean for looking for a managment degree.
Nowadays Engineering is subcontracted to Asia, so .....

mgmt chose the best candiate who applied ... you chose not to apply, thinking you weren't qualified.

mgmt are not going to lay you off 'cause (as you note) this'll cost them a bunch. if you can actually get them to say they want you to quit, then this could be "constructive dissmissal".

as a professional you can't (as i read it) "stop my collaboration" ... if this means not working fully with your new boss.

no apologies, but get over it ... everywhere people are promoted over others; for good or bad reasons (and sometims for no reason). "just" having time in the job doesn't qualify you for promotion.

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

A coworker and I got hired within 1 week of each other, doing the same job in the same department doing Tool Design. I'm an engineer, he's not. He's 20 years older than I am.

After a few rounds of shuffling employees, our department gets merged with the Product Design department and he becomes supervisor. Who once was my equal is now my superior.

Later, I get transferred out of the Design group and become a Project Engineer assigned to a program. Now, I'm putting work requests into his group. Although I'm not in his department, I essentially give/assign him work to do. Who once was my superior is now a resource, and I his "customer."

Once more employee shuffle later, and I get promoted to Manager over yet another combined department. Now, he reports to me. Yep, full circle - I became his boss.

Neither of us resented each other during any of these changes. We still have a good relationship and are making the best of our employment situation.

--Scott
www.wertel.pro

I worked 9 years under the same manager. I left the company and two years later, he left the company. Owner called me back after previous manager left and offered me the manager's position. I accepted. About 1 year later, we hired my old manager back and he worked for me. No problems. I have since left the company and we are still - all 3 of us - very good friends.

No worries.

Anyone who gets promoted to be a manager will generally become a manager to those who used to be co workers.

You shouldn't resent this, after all, you'd be happy if you were the one being promoted to managing your former co-workers.

swertel,

It's not the same context as you. Here there are two different departement. What offensing me is he hasn't any skill to get this position, only reporting and hard working (result oriented). He is good in his previous job, not to manage the organisation. Future will confirm ...;
In many meeting he asked elementary questions because he hasn't any "pre-requis".

HTNeighbors,

I can't quit due to my age and the company doesn't want to fire me.

TenPenny,

Manager is not necessiraly the one who master the database or the specific technical abilities for given position. He shall have a vision and enough background.

It sounds like this guy works hard, gets stuff done, is aggressive, and isn't afraid to ask questions when he doesn't know the answer. He's probably a much better fit to manage than you are.

jhake,

He worked hard as draftsman not in my area. There is a difference between managing and working hard. To be manager you shall have a leader skill, industrail culture, skill in negociation, .... no link to hard working. I tried to find reason to accept him to his new position but I don't. I'm dreaming ! A nightmare.

abbver,

Communication skills are an essential part of the managerial skills that you mention (leadership, industrial culture and negotiation). Based on the spelling, grammar and organization of your posts, I believe that communication is an area in which you could improve.

chris3eb and structSU10,

where we are located English is not the official language (dutch, french and german) but it's the main communication language in the company.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back